Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

SE Level Member
    Chats

Default Front crankshaft seal leak

I posted on here before about an oil leak I was having and was told to replace the oil pressure sensor that when it goes bad it leaks oil. After replacing that the leak still didn't stop and after looking at it 10000 times we finally figured out it's the front crankshaft seal so I got everything to replace it and wasn't able too. Even the tool from autozone didn't help me any lol so it's going to have to go to a shop. I know I can't get an exact number but does anybody have any idea on about how much it will cost? My car is an 07 with the l26 motor in it thank you in advance

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

GT Level Member
    Chats

Default Re: Front crankshaft seal leak

Scottydoggs can tell you how to do it. He's done it about 50 times now. I'm confused though...are you having trouble getting the balancer off?

Chats

http://www.grandprixforums.net/threa...a-crank-sensor bill cant even post his own how to's lol the proper bolts are listed.

you need this style puller https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...kaArbaEALw_wcB

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

GT Level Member
    Chats

Oh..I can. But you do it better

SE Level Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by BillBooost37 View Post
    Scottydoggs can tell you how to do it. He's done it about 50 times now. I'm confused though...are you having trouble getting the balancer off?
    Yeah I tried all of my tools and couldn't get it to budge so I rented the tool from autozone and it didn't even fit. The ends of the prongs were way bigger than the holes on the balancer

SE Level Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Scottydoggs View Post
    http://www.grandprixforums.net/threa...a-crank-sensor bill cant even post his own how to's lol the proper bolts are listed.

you need this style puller https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...kaArbaEALw_wcB
    Ok ok awesome thank you man this puller doesn't look anything like the one they gave me last time it had three little bars on it that just folded up

Chats

once you do get it off, take a close look at the balancer shaft part for a deep groove, if you have one you'll need a repair sleeve to cover it.

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

SE Level Member
    Chats

Ok after reading those instructions it doesn't seem hard at all Im certain I could do it myself with the right puller. My only question is do I have to replace the crankshaft sensor too or could I just reuse my old one?

Chats

nope you can leave it be. unless your car stalls for no reason, then change it.

that how to is just for the sensor, part of that job is taking the balancer off.

if you dont have a seal install tool, you'll need a block of wood to tap on to push the seal in. it needs to go in with out denting the outer bend. gently tap it in there.

SE Level Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Scottydoggs View Post
    nope you can leave it be. unless your car stalls for no reason, then change it.

that how to is just for the sensor, part of that job is taking the balancer off.

if you dont have a seal install tool, you'll need a block of wood to tap on to push the seal in. it needs to go in with out denting the outer bend. gently tap it in there.
    Alright sounds easy enough thank you again I've been stressing like crazy about this it's nice to know it's a simple fix

GT Level Member
    Chats

I like to put a light amount of RTV on the seal where it's going to contact the timing cover. That helps ensure it seals up.

Once you've gotten the balancer pulled once, you'll be able to do it in under 20 minutes.

Chats

Order and use only the GM front cover crankshaft seal... The others are junk!

#GM 12582313
    Overkill BBC Cam, YT 1.8 RR's, Rhodes Lifters, STGII Heads, GenV, Pacesetters, 3" Exh to Tips, TEP Trans. N*, ID 75# injectors/E85 coming soon