Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

SE Level Member
    Chats

Default 04 Intake question

Can anyone tell me if the 04 Grand Prix stock intake has a silencer/baffle or any restriction I can remove or cut out?

Chats

Default Re: 04 Intake question

It does. If you have a GTP you can just stick a filter on the end of the MAF and you're good. But if you are NA I wouldn't modify it since it is a type of cold air/fender wall intake from the factory.
    2005 GTP - Graystone Metallic|SPO grills&spoiler/SE lip/Carbon Fiber INFERNO hood
    7"
    Spectre|3.4 MPS|42lb Blue Giants+E85+Walbro 450lph pump
    SpeedDaddys|AL605|Vogtlands on FE3s|Vinnie's Spacers on solid lowers|Intense poly uppers|
    Dorman + Addco sway bars|Drilled/slotted rotors|Plasti-dip 17" QP2 at +27 offset

Turbo is the way to go. Fivefingerdeathpunch's Avatar
    Chats

On a stock vehicle even a GTP the intake tubing isn't restricting any airflow, the airbox just stops the supercharger sound.

SMGPFC Member #1

Chats

Well the corrugated S bend between the MAF and throttle body on the 04+ is. But on a NA the stock airbox should be just fine, and you can't really replace that piece.
    2005 GTP - Graystone Metallic|SPO grills&spoiler/SE lip/Carbon Fiber INFERNO hood
    7"
    Spectre|3.4 MPS|42lb Blue Giants+E85+Walbro 450lph pump
    SpeedDaddys|AL605|Vogtlands on FE3s|Vinnie's Spacers on solid lowers|Intense poly uppers|
    Dorman + Addco sway bars|Drilled/slotted rotors|Plasti-dip 17" QP2 at +27 offset

Chats

If you can prove that it's a restriction I'd believe but I bet that the throttle blade opening itself is smaller than the inside diameter of the corrugated tubing.

Remember the rubber tubing is put on around the throttle body opening so it's already larger than the blade is.

SMGPFC Member #1

Chats

Has nothing to do with the size of the opening. It has two bends over 6 inches of length and corrugated like another .5 inches fully around. It's to reduce the noise of the intake and it does that by introducing a Lot of turbulence... which reduces flow.

Chats

If it were a restriction people would see actual gains when they replace it with a tube, which people do, I did. The fact is the only thing you gain is noise.
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS - Stock DD mode
    1994 Dodge Stealth - Currently being revived. Modded

Chats

How does the size of throttle body not matter?

If the throttle body can't even flow the amount of air the intake can handle how it is a restriction? Say the throttle body is 75mm but the intake tubing is 80mm, it's already larger and can support more airflow than the throttle body can flow.

Laminar and turbulance airflow are both good and both have a place. Think of a golf ball, if it was smooth it wouldn't go as far. So they add the dimples to increase turbulance and change the airflow around the ball so it carries further. Then like a intake duct, they have corrugated or ribbed tubing to keep the flow up around a corner bend. Also so the there is less stress and more flex as the engine moves.

There is a point when the stock tubing becomes an issue for flow but not at stock power levels.

SMGPFC Member #1

Chats

On my 04 NA top swap I am running a stock intake with drop in K&N. Really the only mod is cut open the inside of the air box to get more flow into the air filter instead of the one tube. But there is no restrictor or baffle that you can easily remove for more noise.
    04 GP GT- top swap, VS cam, 3.0 pulley, E85, headers, 60 injectors, TEP 3:29 trans, Racelogic Traction Control, ZZP dyno tuned, 300 hp daily driver.