Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

Chats

Default No CEL when MAF sensor going bad

It has happened again.
    This is 2 times this year in 2 different GP's that I have experienced all sorts of problems with stalling, no starts, missing, loss of power, boost gauge showing full boost when barely touching the gas pedal, etc. I was checking all sorts of parts on the car and replaced a fuel pressure regulator, and removed and cleaned all kinds of parts.
    But even though I was aware of the fact that the Mass Airflow Sensor could be bad, and was told to check the MAF, in my stupidity, I still did not swap the MAF out. I figured there was no check engine light on.
    Well, to make a long story short, I installed a good MAF into a GTP that was running very poorly and stalled and would not start. As I went to start the car on the 2nd try, it fired right up and has been running almost perfect. The bad MAF was in the car when I bought it, and I would have saved myself lots of stress and loss time if I would have replaced it on the 1st day I got it home.

So, learn from my mistake that if you are experiencing any issues with starting, idling, missing, or whatever, make sure there is a full functioning MAF sensor in place. The CEL will not alert you to a MAF sensor going bad.

GrandPrix Junkie
    Chats

Default Re: No CEL when MAF sensor going bad

Yep, also make sure the wiring going to it is good. And don't go aftermarket on the MAF, get a OE GM one as the others seems to be hit or miss on if they will work or not.

GT Level Member
    Chats

my favorite test is to tap on it with a fingernail while it's running. it the engine spits, sputters or stalls..it's a maf

Chats

Hey, as far as getting a new MAF sensor for the Grand Prix, what model years are compatible with each other? Is it 1997-1998 models have one MAF that works for both years, and then there is a MAF for the 1999-2003 years?

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by NotEnoughGPs View Post
    Hey, as far as getting a new MAF sensor for the Grand Prix, what model years are compatible with each other? Is it 1997-1998 models have one MAF that works for both years, and then there is a MAF for the 1999-2003 years?
    1997-1998
    1999-2003
    2004-2008

Chats

its part # is right there on top of it, match it up. they came in many gm cars. na or sc.

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

Chats

I have a spare oem sensor lying around, so if you need one, just pm me.