Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

Chats

Default Possibly Getting a GXP

I have a 2000 GTP that I love and wasn't really looking for another car, but read about the GXP and decided to do a search.

I found a one owner in nice shape with 55xxx miles on it, nothing modified. It has the Monsoon option, which is nice but I'll probably put in something with Apple Carplay. Body is straight, fluids look and smell good (does have Dexcool, which I'm not a fan of), no DTC's.

There are a couple small issues:

1. A couple of small door dings where the paint from the other car rubbed off, which I'll buff and touch up, so no biggie.

2. A creaking sound from the front end, which the owner says he'll have fixed, so no biggie

3. The headlights are pretty sandblasted- I've read that they're plastic and susceptible to sun damage- I know I could buff them out, but they seem out of place for a 55xxx car. The Carfax is clean, no (reported) accidents and the rest of the front end looks like a 55xxx car, with some bugs embedded and a few small chips from road debris.

4. The HUD appears to be out- the manual says it could be a fuse in the trouble shooting section- the owner says his mechanic can probably fix it (I'm aware some of them have the display drop, but this one isn't visible from any direction- you can hear the motor if you listen hard moving the display.

The price is right, I can write a check right now, but he's unwilling to move on the price if the HUD winds up being a pricey repair.

I want it anyway, is that too much emotion to put into the purchase? The car really is very nice apart from that one HUD issue.
    MyHero is my pet project, not automotive related

My car is an 00 GTP

Turbo is the way to go. Fivefingerdeathpunch's Avatar
    Chats

Default Re: Possibly Getting a GXP

Headlights a really common issue on the 04-08 grand prix's, mileage doesn't seem to matter anymore unless it was sealed in a garage somewhere forever.

The HUD is likely a broken spring for the screen, it's the most common failure on the HUD for 04+ cars. Whoever does the digging into it must be careful about the plastic trims around it, it's very bittle and can crack/snap on you.

If you do buy it I'd highly suggest you do a shift kit with new fluid and disable the displacement on demand as soon as possible to prolong the engine life. The early versions in the LS4 are prone to oil comsumption and possible lifter problems.

SMGPFC Member #1

Chats

it could be that the hud is turned off, there is a round dial by the shifter that you turn to get varying brightness levels and also turn off. I would check and see if the engine consumes oil at all. mine does even with dod/afm turned off, but only in long drives. I had transmission temperature issues until I got an aftermarket tune, they are all gone now, but it's not hot at all where I live, and if it was I would get the shift kit and a transmission cooler.

I love the power the GXP makes and love the car in general.

Chats

Thanks guys- the creaking sound wound up a piece of the fender liner rubbing, fixed easily. He didn't tell me what the HUD issue was, but it's all good now. I made the deal and will cut him a check and pick it up on Saturday

This car is an 06, are the LS4's from that vintage reliable? I have no problem disabling the DOD- I didn't buy this car to baby it all the time anyway. I'll have to learn more about how to get rid of that- I figure a tuner or a program I can use with my laptop should do the trick.

My only intended mods drivetrain-wise are an intake from AirRaid, or similar and a tune that maximizes that and firmer shift points.

My 2000 GTP has a reprogrammed ECU/TCU that lets it take off in 2nd gear if you leave it in 2 so you don't spin your wheels in the snow too much. I'd imagine the V8 in this car would benefit similarly.

I am currently looking at Apple Carplay stereos on Crutchfield to see what's available- I'm spoiled with making calls while driving in my GTP.

Speaking of that, do I keep the GTP too? Space is at a premium. But I hate parting with cars.
    MyHero is my pet project, not automotive related

My car is an 00 GTP