Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

SE Level Member
    Chats

Default Help with Roof Rails

So I acquired a set of Roof Rails and installed them, the passenger side one does not want to stay down by the front Windshield. I am using 3m double sided automotive tape. I've tried using a large c-clamp on a hot day in order to have it stick which works for a short time period, but it always seems to release after a while. Any ideas on how to get it to stay down?

Chats

Default Re: Help with Roof Rails

You are probably going to need to replace the tape. Clean the area very well with rubbing alcohol and don't touch anything with your fingers.

Other then that, you can use epoxy or caulk.
    2005 GTP - Graystone Metallic|SPO grills&spoiler/SE lip/Carbon Fiber INFERNO hood
    7"
    Spectre|3.4 MPS|42lb Blue Giants+E85+Walbro 450lph pump
    SpeedDaddys|AL605|Vogtlands on FE3s|Vinnie's Spacers on solid lowers|Intense poly uppers|
    Dorman + Addco sway bars|Drilled/slotted rotors|Plasti-dip 17" QP2 at +27 offset

Turbo is the way to go. Fivefingerdeathpunch's Avatar
    Chats

3M panel bond.

But that will be a permanent thing if you did that.

You could maybe attempt to remove the rail and create something that will slightly bend the roof rail for a long while to get it to form a new curve and hopefully hold then re-install.

SMGPFC Member #1

SE Level Member
    Chats

Thank you for the suggestions and keep them coming. I did thoroughly clean and prep the surface with both 3m adhesive remover and then rubbing alcohol before installation. I was thinking about maybe putting the c-clip back on it and hitting the Roof Rail with a heat gun taking care not to over heat hopefully.

Chats

I know this is going to sound like a dumb question, but you did remove the stock roof channel things first right? Also you could use Window urethane to install them. It will create a nice tight bond but is also removable.
    2003 Redfire Metallic Chevy Tahoe Z71 - Airaid Modular Intake Tube, Flowmaster Exhaust.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sunfire Guy
    Superchargers take away horsepower

SE Level Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Slick2500 View Post
    I know this is going to sound like a dumb question, but you did remove the stock roof channel things first right? Also you could use Window urethane to install them. It will create a nice tight bond but is also removable.
    I did remove the stock channels first without damage to them. It is only the very front or the passenger side that doesn't seem to want to stay all the way down, so I may try some adhesive just under that area and c-clamp it again in hopes that will keep it bonded. If not I'll have to remove and possible just give up on them. I know the 2 sided tape is still sticky because when I clamp it down, it will hold for a little while, so maybe some extra adhesive along side it will do the trick.

SE Level Member
    Chats

I was also going to install mine using the 3M tape, but I am afraid of the same problem. I might actually try the window urethane. As long as they adhere well, but can be removed in the future then I'll be happy.

SE Level Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by gingerdude View Post
    I was also going to install mine using the 3M tape, but I am afraid of the same problem. I might actually try the window urethane. As long as they adhere well, but can be removed in the future then I'll be happy.
    I wouldn't be afraid of the 3M Tape, the other drivers side and most of the passenger is stuck on there good. I think the problem with mine is the front of the passenger side is slightly warped and not staying down. I have added a little Ultra Black silicone under the part that is lifting and have it clamped back down. I'll keep everyone posted with results.

Chats

problem with the double sided tape is they're way too easy for someone else to rip off...sad but true

Chats

Who was that on here that used window urethane and self tapping screws through the inside of the roof to attach his?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    2003 Redfire Metallic Chevy Tahoe Z71 - Airaid Modular Intake Tube, Flowmaster Exhaust.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sunfire Guy
    Superchargers take away horsepower

SE Level Member
    Chats

Being ripped off is exactly my fear. Hence why I want something much stronger than 2 sided tape, but still removable if necessary.

Chats

There's a YouTube video where a guy screwed them into his Monte, I used 3m tape and prepped the area very well. It felt like they were not that secure as I could wiggle them a bit but after a week or so they can't even move. Been over a year and no issues

SE Level Member
    Chats

Being ripped off is exactly my fear. Hence why I want something much stronger than 2 sided tape, but still removable if necessary.
    I've redid the passenger side once already thinking I may have not cleaned it well enough and even with the front not sticking, it wasn't pulling off easily. It would be a ***** to steal them quickly without just prying them off and possibly damaging them or the roof paint.

Chats

Hardly any gp enthusiasts up here so I never worried about it, most ppl prob think it's screwed on

SE Level Member
    Chats

Well if I was a thief I would give zero cares about someone's roof paint. It's like someone breaking in and stealing your radio. Most of the time the lost radio isn't even that big of a deal, it's the fact that they broke your window and destroyed your dash to get it out that ends up costing the most money.

SE Level Member
    Chats

I believe I have the passenger side front taken care of. I added some Ultra black along side the 3M adhesive tape then clamped the Roof Rail down with a very large C-Clamp. I then used a heat gun to heat the Roof Rail up in that area to assist in forming it back to the Roof. I left the C-Clamp on over night. It's now going on 2 days and the Roof Rail is not coming back up in the front.

SE Level Member
    Chats

Well if I was a thief I would give zero cares about someone's roof paint. It's like someone breaking in and stealing your radio. Most of the time the lost radio isn't even that big of a deal, it's the fact that they broke your window and destroyed your dash to get it out that ends up costing the most money.
    This is very true. I had someone try to break into my car several years ago and they screwed up both door handles/locks/panel. Point taken.

Chats

Worrying about theft is a bit silly imo. Just install them and enjoy!
    Overkill BBC Cam, YT 1.8 RR's, Rhodes Lifters, STGII Heads, GenV, Pacesetters, 3" Exh to Tips, TEP Trans. N*, ID 75# injectors/E85 coming soon

Chats

Are they on backwards, by chance? 3M sells an adhesion promoter that helps the tape stick. Chances are that if a corner wants to come up, the rail was bent too far at some point, likely during removal. Clamping and heating might have worked better while the rail was off, to straighten it. Gasket maker may not last long, it is not for exterior use, lol. Whatever works for you. Nobody will steal them.

SE Level Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
    Are they on backwards, by chance? 3M sells an adhesion promoter that helps the tape stick. Chances are that if a corner wants to come up, the rail was bent too far at some point, likely during removal. Clamping and heating might have worked better while the rail was off, to straighten it. Gasket maker may not last long, it is not for exterior use, lol. Whatever works for you. Nobody will steal them.
    I know they're not on backwards, both sides were also marked L and R and I have owned a Daytona 500 before. I do believe it may have been bent up a little during removal from the donor car because there are some little pry marks close to the front on the inside. I didn't want to try and remove the whole rail again mainly because it was a SOB to get off not to mention cleaning all the 3M tape off. So I decided to add a little Ultra Black along side the 3m tape, C-Clamp it down, and then used a heat gun on that area. It hasn't budged in 3 days. I've used the Ultra Black on other things in the past and never had a problem. It's good from -65 to 500 degree F, and is resistant to almost any liquids. That bond isn't going to break unless someone tries to break it.