Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix
 

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    GrandPrix Junkie Bronco Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Coquitlam,BC,Canada
    Posts
    3,370
    Chats
    1

    Default 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    For those that have put the 04+ seats into your 97-03, how did you address the fact that the seat belts are hard to connect; you have to wiggle and jiggle for it to lock, because you have 97-03 male end and 04+ female end (buckle). I had read where one person was going to swap the buckle from his old seat, but I never saw a follow up, and it appears to be not that simple. The 97-03 one just unbolts, but the 04+ one is strange, turns to cable that is wrapped around a piece, and has a tubular arm that goes to the front of the seat. So, no easy swap.

    Picture from the write-up on GTP World.....





    So far mine has always connected, but you have to really wiggle and jiggle it sometimes, and I can see that getting very annoying.
    Chris B
    2002 GT

  2. #2

  3. #3
    GTP Level Member 231FUN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    854
    Chats
    8671

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    My 02 that I swapped 05 seats into isn't a daily so for the amount I drive it I just put up with having to wiggle the latch a little to get it buckled...getting pretty good at it now or it's just starting to wear in a little lol!

  4. #4
    GT Level Member wstefan20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Raytown, MO
    Posts
    163
    Chats
    4

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
    For those that have put the 04+ seats into your 97-03, how did you address the fact that the seat belts are hard to connect; you have to wiggle and jiggle for it to lock, because you have 97-03 male end and 04+ female end (buckle). I had read where one person was going to swap the buckle from his old seat, but I never saw a follow up, and it appears to be not that simple. The 97-03 one just unbolts, but the 04+ one is strange, turns to cable that is wrapped around a piece, and has a tubular arm that goes to the front of the seat. So, no easy swap.
    Have been meaning to do a write up on this for some time since I ran into this too. This "tubular arm" is actually the side air bag (which for safety reasons I recommend removing since we have no way of hooking it up, and the idea of something that could just blow up for no reason on my seat is a bit terrifying). I'll have to take some pictures, but all I did was locate the disconnect for the air bag plug and the seat belt switch wire, unbolt the assembly, and then bolt the old seat belt to the frame (same thread size and everything). You'll have to disconnect the seat belt switch from the old seat, and I can't remember if it's identical or if you have to splice the wires. Anyways, all the seat belt switch is is a closed circuit to turn off the light on the dash, so the old one works no matter which way you hook it up (or just connect both and bypass it altogether if you are feeling like being unsafe). The only side note is that it bends the "buckle sheath" a bit, but don't be alarmed as you cannot see it once it's installed.

    Passenger seat is exactly the same, but on 97-03 there is no passenger side seat belt switch to worry about so don't fret about that and just cut it back to the wire harness so it doesn't get tangled in something!

    Hope this information helps someone! I'll try to post some pictures and do a write up soon.

    I'm in the process of converting the passenger seat to powered (driver's side) and the driver's seat to 180 folding like the passenger seat so I'll probably lump this on that post. Already proved this will work at the junkyard. Just waiting for the wife to give me the go-ahead, and the money to post! Main issue is securing the variable lumbar control and installing the side panel controls and making it look "decent."

  5. #5
    GrandPrix Junkie Bronco Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Coquitlam,BC,Canada
    Posts
    3,370
    Chats
    1

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    Quote Originally Posted by wstefan20 View Post
    Have been meaning to do a write up on this for some time since I ran into this too. This "tubular arm" is actually the side air bag (which for safety reasons I recommend removing since we have no way of hooking it up, and the idea of something that could just blow up for no reason on my seat is a bit terrifying). I'll have to take some pictures, but all I did was locate the disconnect for the air bag plug and the seat belt switch wire, unbolt the assembly, and then bolt the old seat belt to the frame (same thread size and everything). You'll have to disconnect the seat belt switch from the old seat, and I can't remember if it's identical or if you have to splice the wires. Anyways, all the seat belt switch is is a closed circuit to turn off the light on the dash, so the old one works no matter which way you hook it up (or just connect both and bypass it altogether if you are feeling like being unsafe). The only side note is that it bends the "buckle sheath" a bit, but don't be alarmed as you cannot see it once it's installed.

    Passenger seat is exactly the same, but on 97-03 there is no passenger side seat belt switch to worry about so don't fret about that and just cut it back to the wire harness so it doesn't get tangled in something!

    Hope this information helps someone! I'll try to post some pictures and do a write up soon.
    Thanks for posting this. I new there had to be a logically way, and I would have never thought that tube was an air-bag. I will pull the passenger seat and mess with it first.
    Chris B
    2002 GT

  6. #6
    GT Level Member wstefan20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Raytown, MO
    Posts
    163
    Chats
    4

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I new there had to be a logically way, and I would have never thought that tube was an air-bag. I will pull the passenger seat and mess with it first.
    Only reason I found out about this is completely stripping one of these seats at the junkyard down to the metal frame and completely re-wiring the wiring harness to get the heated seats to work! lol
    I'll try to post something tonight if I have time to help your process, but if I remember correctly, you can access the bolts to remove the airbag assembly by un-doing the velcro on the fabric that wraps around the lower part of the rear seat hinges (not sure if that makes any sense without a picture), and pulling up slightly on the leather and foam to expose one or two bolts that hold it on (again sorry. If my wife wasn't driving my car right now I'd take some pictures).

  7. #7
    GrandPrix Junkie Bronco Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Coquitlam,BC,Canada
    Posts
    3,370
    Chats
    1

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    Quote Originally Posted by wstefan20 View Post
    Only reason I found out about this is completely stripping one of these seats at the junkyard down to the metal frame and completely re-wiring the wiring harness to get the heated seats to work! lol
    I'll try to post something tonight if I have time to help your process, but if I remember correctly, you can access the bolts to remove the airbag assembly by un-doing the velcro on the fabric that wraps around the lower part of the rear seat hinges (not sure if that makes any sense without a picture), and pulling up slightly on the leather and foam to expose one or two bolts that hold it on (again sorry. If my wife wasn't driving my car right now I'd take some pictures).
    Any pics will help, but I may dive in tonight if the rain holds off. Gotta love being able to fold the passenger seat up and remove it in a jiffy.
    Chris B
    2002 GT

  8. #8
    SE Level Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    25
    Chats
    0

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    When i swapped 04 seats into my 97, had to go to the dumpster and retrieve the seat belt parts from the 97 seats. The 04 unbolted and the 97 ones bolted right in. I don't remember any wires or airbags but i did this 10 yrs ago. It has been fine ever since.

  9. #9
    GrandPrix Junkie Bronco Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Coquitlam,BC,Canada
    Posts
    3,370
    Chats
    1

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyape View Post
    When i swapped 04 seats into my 97, had to go to the dumpster and retrieve the seat belt parts from the 97 seats. The 04 unbolted and the 97 ones bolted right in. I don't remember any wires or airbags but i did this 10 yrs ago. It has been fine ever since.
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe the cloth seats didn't have airbags, or maybe different models. I have an idea of how the seat belt comes off, so the next chance I get I will practice on the passenger seat (easier to remove).
    Chris B
    2002 GT

  10. #10
    GrandPrix Junkie Bronco Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Coquitlam,BC,Canada
    Posts
    3,370
    Chats
    1

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    Got the buckles swapped, but they are sitting to hi.



    The 04+ buckle:





    Alignment tab:





    15mm nut:













    I cut-off this to separate the belt from the bracket:







    Cut-off some steal that was in the way:





    Bolted together:





    No more wiggling and jiggling, but they are sitting to hi:





    Did the same on the drivers side, just had the electrical wire to deal with.

    In regards to the height, I was going to attach the buckle to the stud at the rear of the seat, but it didn't line up nicely. Might have to go back and go that route. Time for some measuring.
    Chris B
    2002 GT

  11. #11
    I live far away. WarStryker13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    2,304
    Chats
    7700

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    Quote Originally Posted by wstefan20 View Post
    ...This "tubular arm" is actually the side air bag (which for safety reasons I recommend removing since we have no way of hooking it up, and the idea of something that could just blow up for no reason on my seat is a bit terrifying)
    This isn't entirely correct, but it is part of the SIR system...

    That black tube is actually a seat belt tensioner. a really strong spring that is held under tension by a tiny little clip and release mechanism... When the front airbags get the signal to fire, this bar gets the same signal and fires, allowing the spring to pull the cable routed through the seat belt strap and the buckle, tightening the seat belt in an instant and keeping your ass firmly planted in the seat during a frontal collision.

    The side airbags are either in the B pillar, or in the top half of the seat in the side bolster. My car doesn't have side airbags, but it has that tube.

    Plus, the tube is on the inboard side of the seat, which would be pointless in a side impact if it was an airbag. Just sayin...

    Handling upgrades, go-slow parts, and an attitude.

  12. #12
    GT Level Member wstefan20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Raytown, MO
    Posts
    163
    Chats
    4

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    Interesting, I thought that was a bit small and pointless as far as air bags go. Although still stands that it does nothing for our seats since we can't use it...

    IJust used the mounting bolt you pictured and height is the same. Feels a bit off at first since it didn't bolt exactly up, but the plastic bends when installing seat and looks factory to me. And height is the same.

  13. #13
    GrandPrix Junkie Bronco Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Coquitlam,BC,Canada
    Posts
    3,370
    Chats
    1

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    Quote Originally Posted by WarStryker13 View Post
    This isn't entirely correct, but it is part of the SIR system...

    That black tube is actually a seat belt tensioner. a really strong spring that is held under tension by a tiny little clip and release mechanism... When the front airbags get the signal to fire, this bar gets the same signal and fires, allowing the spring to pull the cable routed through the seat belt strap and the buckle, tightening the seat belt in an instant and keeping your ass firmly planted in the seat during a frontal collision.

    The side airbags are either in the B pillar, or in the top half of the seat in the side bolster. My car doesn't have side airbags, but it has that tube.

    Plus, the tube is on the inboard side of the seat, which would be pointless in a side impact if it was an airbag. Just sayin...
    I thought it was a strange place for an airbag. Now I can't blow them up. LOL



    Quote Originally Posted by wstefan20 View Post
    IJust used the mounting bolt you pictured and height is the same. Feels a bit off at first since it didn't bolt exactly up, but the plastic bends when installing seat and looks factory to me. And height is the same.
    Thanks. I new I should have held my ground and forced them on. Now I get to remove the seats for a third time. Yay.

    Funny thing is that hours before I swapped the buckles, I went for lunch with a buddy. I said nothing of the seats, and he buckled in twice with no problems.
    Chris B
    2002 GT

  14. #14
    GT Level Member wstefan20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Raytown, MO
    Posts
    163
    Chats
    4

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    Good luck! Turns out a lot of these are not spring loaded but fire a charge (similar to an air-bag) to retract the belt. For kicks and giggles found the part and they claim "cannot ship due to hazardous materials", so maybe there IS something to blow up??? I'm so going to try this!

    Here's a video of one exploding just cause explosives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6phdJWRi_vw

    And here's the link to the part: https://www.gmpartsadvantage.com/oem...eT0mdD0mZT0%3D

    Either way, we can't use it, and I'd rather not have something like that strapped to my seat...

  15. #15
    GrandPrix Junkie Bronco Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Coquitlam,BC,Canada
    Posts
    3,370
    Chats
    1

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    That buckle sure moved a lot. Very cool.
    Chris B
    2002 GT

  16. #16
    GrandPrix Junkie Bronco Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Coquitlam,BC,Canada
    Posts
    3,370
    Chats
    1

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    This is the proper way to attach the buckles.....











    Chris B
    2002 GT

  17. #17
    Killa Bee Scottydoggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    37,531
    Chats
    155622

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    that looks so much more in place.

    98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

  18. #18
    GT Level Member wstefan20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Raytown, MO
    Posts
    163
    Chats
    4

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    nice work with the wire loom! I might get up enough motivation to do that eventually.... you did exactly what I did, just made it look better... haha

  19. #19
    SE Level Member green97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Eastern Idaho
    Posts
    113
    Chats
    0

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    Dis you swap the rear seat at all? Interested in how to get the child seat loops that go in between the top and bottom half of the rear seat. Looked at one in the junkyard and it appears it is part of the metal bracket behind the seats in the rear.

  20. #20
    GrandPrix Junkie Bronco Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Coquitlam,BC,Canada
    Posts
    3,370
    Chats
    1

    Default Re: 04+ Interior Swap - Seat Belts

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottydoggs View Post
    that looks so much more in place.
    Yup. Although it was hard to get it there. The seatbelt needs more curve to it, so you have to force it into place this way.



    Quote Originally Posted by wstefan20 View Post
    nice work with the wire loom! I might get up enough motivation to do that eventually.... you did exactly what I did, just made it look better... haha
    The loom is to hide my ugly wiring, that will never be seen. LOL



    Quote Originally Posted by green97 View Post
    Dis you swap the rear seat at all? Interested in how to get the child seat loops that go in between the top and bottom half of the rear seat. Looked at one in the junkyard and it appears it is part of the metal bracket behind the seats in the rear.
    Haven't done the rears yet; will be a few more weeks, at least. I won't have that problem, as my anchors are in the rear deck lid.....

    Chris B
    2002 GT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 04+ interior/seat swap in 97-03
    By Tyarne15 in forum Visual/Body Modifications
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-28-2015, 03:51 PM
  2. Gm seat belts
    By BarginBin Deals in forum Bargain Bin
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2013, 02:51 AM
  3. Seat belts
    By KawaFord in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 12:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •