Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GT Level Member
    Chats

Default Re: Want To Add Trans Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by rottonj View Post
    My LS4 stays that cold in the cold of winter(110 to 120 degrees 45 minute commute), Hayden 679 trans cooler inline with the factory cooler. Average summer temp is around 180, before the cooler was added it would reach 220 easy. I don't drive it in the winter anymore, but those temps were too cool in my opinion .
    I never drove my GXP in the snow/frigid cold...so I just know in the Missouri heat/humidity it never saw 190* again, let alone it barely crept over 180* beating on it all afternoon.
    1999 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Classic Z71 - Intake/Gibson Exhaust - The Daily
    2004 Chevrolet Corvette MRM A4 - AFE S2 Intake/TSP Catless LT's/3" ORX/C6 ZR1 Wheels/Exhaust Tips
    Sold WBody's: '98 GT, '98 GTP, '00 GTP, '03 GTP, '05 GXP

GT Level Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by rottonj View Post
    My LS4 stays that cold in the cold of winter(110 to 120 degrees 45 minute commute), Hayden 679 trans cooler inline with the factory cooler. Average summer temp is around 180, before the cooler was added it would reach 220 easy. I don't drive it in the winter anymore, but those temps were too cool in my opinion .
    Thanks for giving a real world example with the LS4 and the 4T65E-HD tranny with a trans cooler. As stated earlier if you size the cooler (S) to the heat reduction required with a proper installation, any transmission will see a dramatic reduction in temperature regardless of the engine in front or along side the tranny. I looked up the GVW rating of your tranny cooler which is 30,000 GVW (decent size BTW) but you could easily see another 30 degree in drop in the summer by separating the tranny cooler from the in radiator cooling, and allowing the tranny cooler to do all the cooling like it does in my 3 cars. My guess is that the average coolant temp for that LS4 V8 if similar to other GM V8's like my LS7 is about 210 degrees. The reason the tranny temps are so high on stock trans radiator cooled LS4's is that the very hot tranny fluid is attempting to be cooled by coolant that is 210 degrees.....WAY TOO HIGH AND HOT. The ideal tranny temp despite what is often published is not around 180 degrees. it is around 140 degrees for all year round driving but often difficult to achieve with just 1 cooler ( I have 2 Long Dana coolers on my GP and 2 coolers on my Mustang GT as well outside of the radiator cooling...stand alones). You could easily drop another 30 degree reduction with your setup if you allow the Hayden cooler to do all the trans fluid cooling outside of the radiator.

My 01 GP has 205,000 miles on the tranny with the 2 coolers doing all the cooling outside of the radiator and I drive the car all year round in VERY cold weather. The only issue in very cold weather is that the tranny needs about 3 miles of gentle driving when below 20 degrees outside to shift in OD since the fluid takes longer to heat up under those conditions....well worth this minor delay. The Long/Dana coolers with built in temp control never let the fluid drop below 120 degrees. If you do not drive the car in the winter anymore, I certainly would have the cooler as a stand alone outside of the radiator since 180 degrees in the summer is still too high, in my opinion based on 35 years of adding coolers on my personal cars...........The number #1 killer of any transmission is HEAT followed by dirt (change the fluid/filter often @20,000 mile intervals and the 4T65E will live a long life.)
    Last edited by jbamonte; 1 Day Ago at 05:15 AM.

GT Level Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by jbamonte View Post
    Thanks for giving a real world example with the LS4 and the 4T65E-HD tranny with a trans cooler. As stated earlier if you size the cooler (S) to the heat reduction required with a proper installation, any transmission will see a dramatic reduction in temperature regardless of the engine in front or along side the tranny. I looked up the GVW rating of your tranny cooler which is 30,000 GVW (decent size BTW) but you could easily see another 30 degree in drop in the summer by separating the tranny cooler from the in radiator cooling, and allowing the tranny cooler to do all the cooling like it does in my 3 cars. My guess is that the average coolant temp for that LS4 V8 if similar to other GM V8's like my LS7 is about 210 degrees. The reason the tranny temps are so high on stock trans radiator cooled LS4's is that the very hot tranny fluid is attempting to be cooled by coolant that is 210 degrees.....WAY TOO HIGH AND HOT. The ideal tranny temp despite what is often published is not around 180 degrees. it is around 140 degrees for all year round driving but often difficult to achieve with just 1 cooler ( I have 2 Long Dana coolers on my GP and 2 coolers on my Mustang GT as well outside of the radiator cooling...stand alones). You could easily drop another 30 degree reduction with your setup if you allow the Hayden cooler to do all the trans fluid cooling outside of the radiator.

My 01 GP has 205,000 miles on the tranny with the 2 coolers doing all the cooling outside of the radiator and I drive the car all year round in VERY cold weather. The only issue in very cold weather is that the tranny needs about 3 miles of gentle driving when below 20 degrees outside to shift in OD since the fluid takes longer to heat up under those conditions....well worth this minor delay. The Long/Dana coolers with built in temp control never let the fluid drop below 120 degrees. If you do not drive the car in the winter anymore, I certainly would have the cooler as a stand alone outside of the radiator since 180 degrees in the summer is still too high, in my opinion based on 35 years of adding coolers on my personal cars...........The number #1 killer of any transmission is HEAT followed by dirt (change the fluid/filter often @20,000 mile intervals and the 4T65E will live a long life.)
    Well I am not debating your findings, I too have been adding coolers to cars for 30 plus years with what I think are good results(most cars don't have transmission gauges so I really only know for fact the difference of a handful of cars), but the other end of the spectrum is getting too cool for the transmission to operate correctly. We both agree 200 or higher is too high, but I feel 180 degrees is better than 125 to 140. I have a thermal bypass for the car I have not installed because of no winter driving, but even that is set at 180 degrees. Bottom line is lowering temperature, and the LS4 suffers more than most cars from this because the engine compartment heat soaks. I may give it a try stand alone at some point(right now is low priority for that car), its a better way to go but for me with the cooler I have driving in the temperature I was it works. Different geographic locations need different set ups. On a side note my 2004 Comp G daily driver with a similar set up cooler never got to 180 since installing a couple years ago, that car has a more direct airflow path to the cooler where it is mounted also due to the front bumper opening . If I change something I will post back any differences. Good luck to the op with whatever they choose.Pics of both.

GXP
    http://www.hostthenpost.org/uploads/...6afa6b7df9.jpg
    Comp G
    http://www.hostthenpost.org/uploads/...0ad3da6473.jpg

GT Level Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by jbamonte View Post

Yup; Mine bypassed the radiator as well.

Still wasn't anywhere near 140* in real world driving in the Midwest.
    1999 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Classic Z71 - Intake/Gibson Exhaust - The Daily
    2004 Chevrolet Corvette MRM A4 - AFE S2 Intake/TSP Catless LT's/3" ORX/C6 ZR1 Wheels/Exhaust Tips
    Sold WBody's: '98 GT, '98 GTP, '00 GTP, '03 GTP, '05 GXP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12