Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

SE Level Member
    Chats

Default 2004 Comp G just died

I have a 2004 comp g that I got two months ago for $2,000. It needs some TLC I know rhe cv axle are very close to going out soon. But the issue is I was driving up hill and while accelerating I heard something break and I could no longer accelerate but the rpms would increase I pulled over and shut the car off as it would not go I tried to crank it back up and it won't crank just hear the starter engage but the car is dead. It has 150k miles on it. Does any one have any ideas as to what happened. I'm not sure I've been told maybe a timing issue.

Chats

Default Re: 2004 Comp G just died

it's broke and you touched it last

GrandPrix Junkie
    Chats

Sounds like maybe the trans let go? Try putting a breaker bar on the crank bolt and turning the engine by hand. Really need more info tho. How's the oil look?

SE Level Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by FordMan77 View Post
    Sounds like maybe the trans let go? Try putting a breaker bar on the crank bolt and turning the engine by hand. Really need more info tho. How's the oil look?
    The car is on the side of the road so I have to get it home still. But the oil looks a little dark but not bad the trans fluid looks rather clean. It has consistently given random misfire and improper gear ratio codes also. When I started it before it broke it had a rough idle also then I drove maybe four miles and it gave out. When I try to crank it now the starter engages but there is no firing.

GrandPrix Junkie
    Chats

Ok, so the motor still turns with the starter, just it won't run? With the random misfire codes it could be the ICM that went. Could also have a bad coil that helped it along. Went through this on my 00 GT. Was driving along and all of the sudden nothing. Found a cracked coil so swapped that out and a used ICM and it fired right up.

Not sure what's up with trans code. Might want to post that as well. I'm sure someone here can figure that out. I'm wondering if someone installed a regular GTP trans in that car and not one from a Comp G GTP. IIRC, they have different gear ratios. Think the regular supercharged GTP had 2.93's, while the Comp G had 3.29's. I'm not a trans expert but something sticks out in my memory for some reason there.

Chats

Yup, probably regular trans was swapped into the compG.
    Did the flappy paddles ever work for manually shifting gears?
    2000 Bronze Metallic GTP
    Power :Gen V, 3.6 pulley, 3 inch down pipe, Power log, FWI,and DHP Power Tuner,
    Handling: Vogtland Springs, GMPP sway bars, STBS, 18" Konig backbone, CTS-V Front brakes and GXP rear brakes

SE Level Member
    Chats

The motor does not turn with the starter. And yes rhe paddle shifters worked fine no problem at all also when it broke it sounded as though something was rattling around before I cut it off.

Chats

try unhooking the battery for like 20 minutes to re set the pcm and clear the codes. you dont get a wrong gear code for no reason.

if you own a scanner, clear the codes, it just might fire up. same as unhooking the battery.

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

SE Level Member
    Chats

I'll try clearing the codes when I get back to it. It also gave the coolant to low code as well. If the transmission goes in the car will that,cause it to not start? Last car I had with tranny issues it still started it just didn't go.

SE Level Member
    Chats

I'll try clearing the codes when I get back to it. It also gave the coolant to low code as well. If the transmission goes in the car will that,cause it to not start? Last car I had with tranny issues it still started it just didn't go.

GrandPrix Junkie
    Chats

Hm, low coolant code and rattling before it quit? And now it won't turn over with the starter. I wonder if this thing ate the coolant and spun some bearings around in a not so nice manner. Once you get it back check the radiator and see if it really is low or not. Sometimes those sensors get gunked up and give a false reading.

SE Level Member
    Chats

Sorry I should have specified. Coolant temperature to low