Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

SE Level Member
    Chats

Default Intermittent idle stumbling and dying issue PLEASE HELP

Alright, so some background information before I get into the issues. The car in question is a 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix SE Coupe. I purchased the car in late May of 2017 off of craigslist for the whopping price of $600. The car had sat for a year but was supposed to be acceptable mechanical shape, it ran, drove, and didn't seem to have many issues except for some interior blemishes and missing knobs, all of which I replaced. I decided to go for it and purchase the car, and got it into running shape. The first day I drove the car to work it overheated, so I replaced the radiator and that fixed that issue. About a week later, the car was running like crap. Rough idle, engine choking up, and not running well, but once I shifted the car into drive and gave it gas it ran just fine.

Until it died completely in grocery store parking lot two weeks ago. The car ran rough, then stalled out completely, dying instantly. The car would crank, but would not start up. After it cooled off for about 30-45 minutes, the car cranked right back up and ran fine. I went ahead and replaced the fuel filter, thinking that would resolve the issue. So I drove the car a little more, still some intermittent idle stumbling, but definitely not as common as it was before I replaced the filter. So I took the car to work today, then went out with a buddy at night. No issues at all, car ran fine all night, but once I came out of the store and the car had the same issue it had two weeks ago. Idled rough, no response when gas was given, then it completely died. I rolled it down the hill and put it in a parking space, then let it sit for 30-45 minutes and it fired right up and I drove it home.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem?

Thanks!
    Last edited by PrixSE; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:25 PM.

Turbo is the way to go. Fivefingerdeathpunch's Avatar
    Chats

Default Re: Intermittent idle stumbling and dying issue PLEASE HELP

Only speaking from stuff I've seen and heard of but some electronic parts can get hot and start failing, then work again once cooled down.

Ignition control modules are fairly common for that, sometimes even sensors on the motor like a crank or cam sensor.

It's hard to diag the problem without being there and watching it happen on a scanner to see what might be going on.

SMGPFC Member #1