Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chats

Default Re: ethanol or methanol

https://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-3300-1...+injection+kit

this is the kit i bought, i stepped in sh1t and somehow found it listed for 350 shipped, so i pounced on it hard and fast lol

Attached Images Attached Images

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

Chats

It's 400 plus shipping from zzp, cheapest place I found it. If you look around you can find pure methanol for 4 dollars a gallon then dilute it with distilled water to 50/50. Wasn't hard to install.

Chats

It's 400 plus shipping from zzp, cheapest place I found it. If you look around you can find pure methanol for 4 dollars a gallon then dilute it with distilled water to 50/50. Wasn't hard to install.

I'm on a 3.0 pulley now with the methanol and e85, will be dropping pullies soon, have a 2.8 on order and a snout machine tool coming.

Chats

Yep, I would plan on buying from ZZP. I also have a full-time wideband hooked up so I can monitor at all times. Scotty, you use the -20F washer fluid cause it has less soap/less corrosive correct?? I am reading now different mixes that folks use now with good results.

SgtMarshal, what other mods do you have? with that meth and E85, I would think you could be on smaller than the 3.0??
    1998 GTP sedan: sold, 1999 GTP coupe #1: sold, 1999 GTP coupe #2 on E85: totalled
    2002 GTP sedan:
    3" downpipe|PLOG|poly mts|160 T*|60# Injectors|ZZP Intake|1.8 YT RRs|Ported Gen3|Ported ZZP S2 TB|E85|FP rewire|ZZP FSIC|WP UD Pulley|2.8 MPS|HP-Tuners

Chats

i use -20 cause its 30 to 35% meth. if you can find colder washer fluid, its for more meth. if you can find 99% pure meth at a speed shop, or at a local race track, or even fuel supplier, its best im sure, then you know your running 50% meth.

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

Chats

without the methanol I had kr after a few pulls, now I have none. I plan on dropping down to a 2.55 if possible. i have an XP cam, ported L32 heads, a phenolic spacer, sd headers, and a stock gen 3.

if you can get real methanol, don't bother with the windshield washer fluid. it ends up costing the same for a better product.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMarshal View Post
    without the methanol I had kr after a few pulls, now I have none. I plan on dropping down to a 2.55 if possible. i have an XP cam, ported L32 heads, a phenolic spacer, sd headers, and a stock gen 3.

if you can get real methanol, don't bother with the windshield washer fluid. it ends up costing the same for a better product.
    Good stuff. Thx guys. did you tune for the meth in a similar fashion to Scotty?
    1998 GTP sedan: sold, 1999 GTP coupe #1: sold, 1999 GTP coupe #2 on E85: totalled
    2002 GTP sedan:
    3" downpipe|PLOG|poly mts|160 T*|60# Injectors|ZZP Intake|1.8 YT RRs|Ported Gen3|Ported ZZP S2 TB|E85|FP rewire|ZZP FSIC|WP UD Pulley|2.8 MPS|HP-Tuners

Chats

yep, pulled fuel from up top. and just a word of information, don't set your controller to spray at the lowest setting or it will use a gallon in 3 runs.

Chats

in the directions, theres some loosely given direction, with a disclaimer of course, they say to lean your wot af down one, the meth should put it back.

so if now your at 12.6 wot, you'll want to lean it to 13.6 ish, then add the meth and see where it ends up, it comes with 3 jets, the small one is too small, the middle one works best, the large one is huge, no sense even trying it.

i got myself in the high 11's when spraying the meth with pulling 5%, nice and simple.

the controller is progressive, so it starts to spray at what ever psi you tell it, then goes full at what ever psi you tell it. so it works its way up there to full. im set to start at 4, full at 8, i make 12 to 13 psi.

Chats

All great stuff. I am targeting 11.5/1 at WOT, so sounds like I would target 12.5 instead. I may pull the trigger on the AEM kit from ZZP soon!
    2002 GTP sedan:

Chats

you still target the same afr, just when you spray the methanol, it goes rich so you need to lean it back out.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMarshal View Post
    you still target the same afr, just when you spray the methanol, it goes rich so you need to lean it back out.
    Good call, thx Marshal
    2002 GTP sedan:

SE Level Member
    Chats

One thing to remember is it's NOT the methanol this ideas was designed to add, it's moisture. The fact is straight water is supposed to add ,if my memory serves, 20 points of octane representation. Adding methanol simply ADDs octane like using nitro in funny car or hydrazine in engine. Also methanol allows for year round use. The cooling effect is side benefit AND adds to list. It's not about the methanol, it's about the chemistry of water injection. First wide use was US military in supercharged planes, methanol was also added as it kept "power kit" as they were called from freezing in sub zero temps. AV gas didnt need it but in dog fight or evasion the engines needed it.

Chats

I don't see how water could add octane. Water only intercool's the combustion chamber by entering as a liquid and then absorbing the heat to turn into a gas. the Methanol/Ethanol is what add's the octane. The methanol/ethanol is also fuel and is combustible. The guy on the AEM forum, said that the car would make more power if pure alcohol was used, I just don't think it's a good idea to put pure methanol into the system, so that is where the methanol/ethanol mixture come from. I'm thinking about trying the Denatured Alcohol made by Klean Strip at the track this weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12