Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

SE Level Member
    Chats

Default blacked out/smoked/tinted tail lights on grand prix 97-04 /04 - Thoughts?

Hey guys

What's everybodys thoughts on tinted grand prix tail lights? the older w bodys and newer? I personally think it looks good but can look bad if done wrong.
    99 GTP: DIY FWI-3in CDP-rez del-plog-napa spark wires COME ON WILL I WANT MY TUNE!!!!!!<3 Intercooling next
    <3 PROUDLY Canadian / PROUDLY Austrian "Look, Gasoline's perfectly safe.....until you introduce ol Orange."

Turbo is the way to go. Fivefingerdeathpunch's Avatar
    Chats

Default Re: blacked out/smoked/tinted tail lights on grand prix 97-04 /04 - Thoughts?

If you like people not being able to see your tail lights, go for it.

The only way I'd ever "tint" a set tail lights is with automotive black paint mixed in with some clear coat. It's more or less a black shadow look to offset the red housing.

SMGPFC Member #1

SE Level Member
    Chats

Default Re: blacked out/smoked/tinted tail lights on grand prix 97-04 /04 - Thoughts?

yea exactly, i think it depends on the car honestly. Some can have them look great but others not so much. The grand prixs??ehhhhh i kinda like it
    99 GTP: DIY FWI-3in CDP-rez del-plog-napa spark wires COME ON WILL I WANT MY TUNE!!!!!!<3 Intercooling next
    <3 PROUDLY Canadian / PROUDLY Austrian "Look, Gasoline's perfectly safe.....until you introduce ol Orange."

Chats

Also depends how often you like being pulled over by the police, lots of jurisdictions have laws against tinted tails. Mine are professionally tinted and fairly dark and I've been pulled over a couple of times-- I just tell the cops that they came that way when I bought the car and they seem to think I meant from factory and leave me alone.
    99 gtp- L32/Gen V, 3.3 mps, zz 1.9's, N*, slp front to back, OverKilled, 180 tstat, 104's, K&N cai, lowered with GMMP susp, 12" PBR brakes

75 Pro-Street Vega-- Blown 383 stroker with Nos fogger system

Chats

guy i bought my car from had tinted the tails with window tint film. Too dark for my tastes. I swapped in a set of spyder LED tails instead.
    --
    Current '98 GTP Coupe: Still stock and rust free. That will change.
    Old '98 GTP Coupe: VS Cam, 3.0, S2IC, 42.5#, TOGs, N*/LQ4, Corsa. it once ran a 13 flat
    Older '98 GTP Sedan: Pullied, rockered, SSIC, etc. Stock 14.33 @ 96.5 / PB: 13.89 @ 101

Chats

I did mine with VHT and a lot of wet sanding, but the wife saw mine next to a stock silver 04 and now she absolutely loves how dark they are.

Which is stupid dark. VVVVVVVV

Handling upgrades, go-slow parts, and an attitude.

I can't car too good. SaukRapids's Avatar
    Chats

Kinda like others, I think it depends on the GP. Color, accessories and such play into it. Overall, looks good but can come out bad, imho.

Have you looked at other tail lights for 04+?

Had some on the '99 that were ok. Altezza style..? Can't remember brand etc, but inside was gunmetal.

Chats

I did, and my mod was $10 in paint and $5 in sandpaper. lol

I am not really a fan of the LED tails anyways, I'd rather have a block of diffused LEDs that look like its all one bulb, rather than a bunch of little bright dots. Personal opinion.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by WarStryker13 View Post
    I did, and my mod was $10 in paint and $5 in sandpaper. lol

I am not really a fan of the LED tails anyways
    Agreed. Expensive, and some LEDs really do look terrible.

Chats

And with the whole less-light-output deal, I picked up some ultra-bright LED 3057s from the local parts store, more than bright enough even through tint.

Still undecided on whether to sand the backup lamp bar just where the bulbs shine through, or get HID backup lamps... But it still looks so much better than yellow, sun-faded blech.

Donating Users
    Chats

I liked it until the sun was out and people wouldn't see the brake lights.

No thanks.

New set of OEM tails with new headlight capsules and whatever style corner lens you want goes a long way. Only tint I do anymore is window/brow tint.
    2012 Buick Regal Premium1 Turbo - White Diamond Tri-coat - 20% Tint - 5k HID Head/Fog Lights - ZZP CAI

Chats

This is how my tails looked when I first did them

This is parking lights on

As you can see, even as dark as they were the halogen taillights were still visible. I ended up buffing them out and lightened them up a bit in the process, but they still look world's better than the red.
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS - Stock DD mode
    1994 Dodge Stealth - Currently being revived. Modded

Chats

Guess I took for granted this car hangs out in the lot. The tail light covers look good on it, imo. (sry about the quality, kinda far away)

Chats

I had tinted tails on both my GTP's. I really liked the look back then, but nowadays I'm not really into it.

Current ride - 1997 Park Avenue Ultra
    Past rides - '97 GTP, '98 GTP, '99 Regal GS

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by WarStryker13 View Post
    And with the whole less-light-output deal, I picked up some ultra-bright LED 3057s from the local parts store, more than bright enough even through tint.

Still undecided on whether to sand the backup lamp bar just where the bulbs shine through, or get HID backup lamps... But it still looks so much better than yellow, sun-faded blech.
    Use the 10 dollar paint and paint the reverse bar black like I did. Fck reverse lights.

Chats

It's already black. lol