Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Cam questions

Chats

Default Re: Cam questions

I was leaving things alone, because I didn't want to debate semantics, ie, when I said Stock Roller Chain...! The thread police are watching!

And for the matter, stock rockers cannot change its ratio, they don't magically increase lift, talk about myth! Roller Rockers provide less wear on the valve train due to less side loading on the valves, especially at higher lifts. The stock rockers are good, but if you want better, you go with Rollers, sorry! 1.65 is 1.65... 1.8 is 1.8, etc, and if you want too ensures ire to try it, it's not checked at the rocker, but at the valve. Do the clay method with 1.6's and 1.8's or 9's and swap a higher lift cam and do the clay again and tell me which has more "LIFT"... It's mechnical, it doesn't move, you don't get more from nothing. I've read this 100 times and it's BS. As a matter of fact, the higher ratio rockers do best by accentuating the cam lobe profile, ie, ramp rates are affected by ration, ie, quicker opening/closing on higher ratio rockers on par with its ration.

Double chain is the way to go, last time I can offer advise on this, it's a no brainer. Don't think too much, you're over thinking things! If it's the same $, go Double Roller.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Turbocharged400sbc View Post
    Oem chain snapped at 74k miles after swapping in a vs and 105s at ~35k

Saving 200+$ cost over 1000$
    Yes, and buy NEW unless absolutely unable!
    Unless you know how and what to look for as far as wear. My double roller is in its 3rd engine and barely any slack, still tight as hell... Lol

GXP Level Member Turbocharged400sbc's Avatar
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by coolone View Post
    I was leaving things alone, because I didn't want to debate semantics, ie, when I said Stock Roller Chain...! The thread police are watching!

And for the matter, stock rockers cannot change its ratio, they don't magically increase lift, talk about myth! Roller Rockers provide less wear on the valve train due to less side loading on the valves, especially at higher lifts. The stock rockers are good, but if you want better, you go with Rollers, sorry! 1.65 is 1.65... 1.8 is 1.8, etc, and if you want too ensures ire to try it, it's not checked at the rocker, but at the valve. Do the clay method with 1.6's and 1.8's or 9's and swap a higher lift cam and do the clay again and tell me which has more "LIFT"... It's mechnical, it doesn't move, you don't get more from nothing. I've read this 100 times and it's BS. As a matter of fact, the higher ratio rockers do best by accentuating the cam lobe profile, ie, ramp rates are affected by ration, ie, quicker opening/closing on higher ratio rockers on par with its ration.

Double chain is the way to go, last time I can offer advise on this, it's a no brainer. Don't think too much, you're over thinking things! If it's the same $, go Double Roller.
    A roller rocker has the roller at the valve tip where the fulcrum stays at the same distance from the pivot point throughout the travel arc.
    The OEM rocker has a sliding tip at the valves with a needle bearing pivot.
    Because the valves sweep across the slide pad the valve face starts at the 1.6 ratio and sweeps outward from the pivot towards 1.66 as the valve reaches max lift.
    ~James~ Psychotic Gearhead
    projects: 84 Cressida waGN~ 90 LN3 3800, equal length headers, T70, 89 700r4, misc parts,
    1994 Oldsmobile 442 (462ci-4wd-2 engines) L67/4t80e^2,
    00 Turbo Regal 608 fwhp 575ftlbs at 5500rpm, 98 WhippledRiv, 97 GTP

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by coolone View Post

Lol. You struggled in geometry, didn't you?

2001 GTP - cam, headers, nitrous, stock trans - 11.83 @ 116 <$2k in mods - sold
    2005 F350 6.0 - studded, deleted, bulletproofed, tuned
    1966 Olds Cutlass 442 Convertible
    2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0l

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567