Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam questions

GTX Level Member
    Chats

Default Re: Cam questions

Well when you lose oil pressure at 90 mph in the center lane on i-70 not much you can do

GTX Level Member
    Chats

And I gave $67 for my last short block

Chats

Throw it in neutral, kill it, and put on hazards. Done deal 😉

That is super cheap but still way to much of my life having to swap an engine. Not to mention the cars my dd. Luckily if it does blow up I only live a few miles away and always have my lamberfeeties.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Chats

Unless you're blueprinting the entire engine, there's really no need to degree the cam unless you got it used and are not sure of its specs. If you want to go crazy, you can get a pushrod checker, valve srping height caliper, etc. But really, it's a 3800... As for the oil pump, you can check tolerances with feeler gauges, I have the book at my garage, can give it to you later if you want. If within spec, there's no need to change the gears. Don't overthink it! I've mentioned, there's really no Unicorns here, the 3800 is a tried and tired platform and the paths are clearly set for what ever you plans may be. DD, 300-350HP, yes, doable. Bulletproof? Lol... Weak points are well known, oil pump isn't one of them. Make sure you pack the oil pump with Vaseline though, so it sucks oil @ startup. You'll want to dump the oil soon after startup.
    Overkill BBC Cam, YT 1.8 RR's, Rhodes Lifters, STGII Heads, GenV, Pacesetters, 3" Exh to Tips, TEP Trans. N*, ID 75# injectors/E85 coming soon

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by coolone View Post
    Unless you're blueprinting the entire engine, there's really no need to degree the cam unless you got it used and are not sure of its specs. If you want to go crazy, you can get a pushrod checker, valve srping height caliper, etc. But really, it's a 3800... As for the oil pump, you can check tolerances with feeler gauges, I have the book at my garage, can give it to you later if you want. If within spec, there's no need to change the gears. Don't overthink it! I've mentioned, there's really no Unicorns here, the 3800 is a tried and tired platform and the paths are clearly set for what ever you plans may be. DD, 300-350HP, yes, doable. Bulletproof? Lol... Weak points are well known, oil pump isn't one of them. Make sure you pack the oil pump with Vaseline though, so it sucks oil @ startup. You'll want to dump the oil soon after startup.
    I would love the specs if you could get them for me. The cam is a brand new s1x and for now I'll be running stock rockers so I won't have to mess with pushrod length. Still debating on upgrading lifters. I guess I really don't understand what benefits ls7 lifters would provide over stock. Plus they seem like a pain in the ass having to set their preload just right.

GTX Level Member
    Chats

Apparently youve never been on i-70 just after kc rush hour lol

Chats

I'll have to take your word for it 😌

GTX Level Member
    Chats

Yeah they don't notice things like hazards etc. The first time I lost an oil pump I had to act like I was gonna run into someone if they didn't let me over.....to be honest I prolly would have lol.

Personally any time I pull the front cover I change the pump. And if you end up with a double roller you gotta pull the pump cover anyway

Chats

Ya I think I probably will be going with a double roller. I'm only running 105# springs but I've seen a couple posts of people breaking a stock style chain and the single rollers even with the 105s. So even though the majority of people say a new stock chain will be fine I feel it rather not cheap out just to save 100$ even if theres only a 1% chance of the chain breaking. Its just not worth it to me. It rather spend the 100 extra dollars and have some piece of mind.

GTX Level Member
    Chats

Mite as well spend the extra $50 on a pump for the insurance

Chats

Ya better safe then sorry. If I spun a rod bearing or something I'd feel a lot better about it knowing I did what I could to prevent it rather then feeling like it happened because I was to cheap to spend 50 dollars haha

GTX Level Member
    Chats

I mean your pump is likely perfectly fine.....but on the off chance lol

Chats

If you are going with a double roller, you should really put some springs in there so you actually make power.

I've also had a bunch of 3800 cars and motors. Never once have I changed an oil pump or had an issue with one.

2001 GTP - cam, headers, nitrous, stock trans - 11.83 @ 116 <$2k in mods - sold
    2005 F350 6.0 - studded, deleted, bulletproofed, tuned
    1966 Olds Cutlass 442 Convertible
    2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0l

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by GTPpower View Post
    If you are going with a double roller, you should really put some springs in there so you actually make power.

I've also had a bunch of 3800 cars and motors. Never once have I changed an oil pump or had an issue with one.
    Well I already bought 105s and got them for about half off so that's what I'm sticking with as it's recommended for the s1x. I also don't plan on raising my shifts that much maybe to 6200 so it shifts around 6400.

GTX Level Member
    Chats

I have. And another user jakobkay found a cracked gear on his dads 97 se

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by suitercrew View Post
    Well I already bought 105s and got them for about half off so that's what I'm sticking with as it's recommended for the s1x. I also don't plan on raising my shifts that much maybe to 6200 so it shifts around 6400.

It is silly to go through all the work and expense of adding a double roller then. The stock chain will hold up fine with 105's.

2001 GTP - cam, headers, nitrous, stock trans - 11.83 @ 116 <$2k in mods - sold
    2005 F350 6.0 - studded, deleted, bulletproofed, tuned
    1966 Olds Cutlass 442 Convertible
    2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0l

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by GTPpower View Post
    It is silly to go through all the work and expense of adding a double roller then. The stock chain will hold up fine with 105's.
    See and a lot of people say that but I've seen a few instances where the stock chain broke with 105s so I'm not even going to take the risk. Its not worth saving 100$ over. The s1x power and peaks at 6200 rpm so there's no reason to go much past that

Chats

I have never heard of a chain snapping unless your using the pos aftermarket single rollers. People have run 130's on stock chain

Chats

Well I've seen a couple threads that people had stock chains that busted. Now the only question to that is do they mean a stock style chain or an actual stock gm chain? Who knows.

Regal GS Level Member BoostedPontiac's Avatar
    Chats

I know I'm way late to the party but when I changed valve springs, I used a spark plug fitting from a compression test kit with an air fitting. It held the valves up just fine.
    98' GP coupe nic setup 12.6 @ 108 with a 1.9 60ft before headers and ported blower
    Retired: 99' GP sedan nic setup 13.37
    Retired: 99' Regal GS Turbo 11.428 @ 122.61 with a 1.7 60ft.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast