Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

SE Level Member
    Chats

Default Stereo Replacement/Repair

So my current OEM stereo is acting up.
    The display is faded, CD player skips, etc.

If there is an easy fix, id be open to hear it.

If I'm better off replacing it, is there anyone with an idea as to a good head unit that matches the gray/black interior with Red Display, BT, and AUX?

If that is too specific, what's some common replacements?

And yes I know, it really doesn't matter, but id like to somewhat remain stock looking.

Chats

Default Re: Stereo Replacement/Repair

A. Tear apart your stock radio, replace the bulbs, and clean the cd lense.
    B. Install a junkyard stock radio and have it programmed to your car by the dealer.
    C. Install an aftermarket radio with an adapter to keep everything on the data bus line happy (you will lose the date on the DIC fyi)

I installed a JVC double-din cd player. Changed the color scheme to match the factory red. It looks nice, not gaudy or steal me obvious.

Attached Images Attached Images
    04 GP GT- top swap, VS cam, 3.0 pulley, E85, headers, 60 injectors, TEP 3:29 trans, Racelogic Traction Control, ZZP dyno tuned, 300 hp daily driver.

SE Level Member
    Chats

Year/stereo options? Base vs Bose vs Monsoon have different changes and requirements.

If you have the knowledge in rebuilding electronics, the stereo isn't too bad to reman, if you don't have experience, don't try.

If you go aftermarket there are some considerations required. 97-03 not much, if you have wheel controls an adapter is required for them that's about it.

04+ the radio controls chimes and numerous other things.

If you want OEM stereo, with Bluetooth or a similar function you can install an antenna signal interceptor, most use an AUX but some do Bluetooth.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

SE Level Member
    Chats

It does have steering wheel controls, It an 01 GTP. It has OnStar but Idk if the Speakers are Bose as most had them but it doesn't have badges for that. (Most that have OnStar I've seen also have Bose)

Chats

I have a stock radio laying around if you want it that bad, lol... Make me an offer ; )

lol... That said, just get an aftermarket unit, double din requires some additional work to the trim, but go all out, speakers (separates in front) and amp with sub... You won't be sorry. One thing I've always found is for some reason the GP's do have good acoustics. No need for a large sub, just something to fill in the lows. I always swap out the audio first thing in cars as stock is garbage in comparison. Example, my Pioneer DEH-80PRS kills it, accepts SD card for music (64gig) which contains everything I'd ever listen to, etc. And is an audiophile's dream, lol. Add to it a Kicker IX Amp, Infinity Kappa's in the rear (300W) and Boston Acoustic Separates in the front and its a slamming set up. It has an AUX output you could attach for headphone jack and also 2 USB ports (one I set up as charging port for phones). Axxess controller maintains steering wheel controls but you do lose some HUD with removal of stock head unit.

Point is, if you're going to change the head unit, don't stop there, do it right.

Some off he newer units use Android OS which is interesting and probably the only reason I would consider going big screen... I'm sure coupling that with the Torque App and an ELM BT dongle would be real cool.
    Overkill BBC Cam, YT 1.8 RR's, Rhodes Lifters, STGII Heads, GenV, Pacesetters, 3" Exh to Tips, TEP Trans. N*, ID 75# injectors/E85 coming soon

SE Level Member
    Chats

Honestly, if you get very good rears, you don't need a Sub. I had mid level Alpine in the rear deck of my coupe and it would rattle the car at 40% volume.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk