Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

Thread: FWD to AWD help

SE Level Member
    Chats

Default FWD to AWD help

First off before I start this post, I don't care about the cost and time it'll take to accomplish this project. It's my fun little project that I want to do. I want to convert my 2000 GTP to AWD or RWD. Would it be easier to buy a chassis of a AWD or RWD car and put the shell of my GTP onto it and make custom mounts?

If I wanted to make it to a manual could I hook up a manual transmission to the stock GTP engine or would I have to swap out both of them?

I'm just getting into working on cars and I thought this would be fun to do so I can learn things about it, I've done some searching and most of the answers are, it's a waste of time and money. But I don't care, I plan on keeping it for a long time.

Chats

Default Re: FWD to AWD help

how this, good luck... one guys done it, it was silly great. your not him if your asking how to do it. and 50 others dreamed about it. so you will likely fall into the #51 spot.

enjoy and drool over it.

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

Chats

Hopefully you enjoy fab work because this will involve a crap ton of it. The GTP is basically a unibody so there would be a bunch of cutting to convert to RWD. So if I were you I would body swap it onto a donor AWD or RWD chassis/floorpan.

Chats

2001 GTP - cam, headers, nitrous, stock trans - 11.83 @ 116 <$2k in mods - sold
    2005 F350 6.0 - studded, deleted, bulletproofed, tuned
    1966 Olds Cutlass 442 Convertible
    2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0l

Chats

I feel like the simplest way to go about it is to buy a 4th gen Camaro that has V6 and manual trans. Pull them both into the shop and don't come out until you've made a Camaro with an L67 that looks like a GP. The build in that link is cool, and also performance oriented. You trying to go fast with this?

Chats

You posted 2 months ago that you are "just starting to become a mechanic." That alone tells me you don't have the fab skills to pull this off.
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS - Stock DD mode
    1994 Dodge Stealth - Currently being revived. Modded

GTP Level Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    You posted 2 months ago that you are "just starting to become a mechanic." That alone tells me you don't have the fab skills to pull this off.
    Most experienced mechanics don't have the skills for a job like this.

Just drive it like you stole it and start saving for a WRX.
    GPONA #1 Cyber Bully

Chats

You pretty much have to re-engineer the whole car.
    2000 Bronze Metallic GTP
    Power :Gen V, 3.6 pulley, 3 inch down pipe, Power log, FWI,and DHP Power Tuner,
    Handling: Vogtland Springs, GMPP sway bars, STBS, 18" Konig backbone, CTS-V Front brakes and GXP rear brakes

GXP Level Member Turbocharged400sbc's Avatar
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by buickman104 View Post
    You pretty much have to re-engineer the whole car.
    this
    ~James~ Psychotic Gearhead
    projects: 84 Cressida waGN~ 90 LN3 3800, equal length headers, T70, 89 700r4, misc parts,
    1994 Oldsmobile 442 (462ci-4wd-2 engines) L67/4t80e^2,
    00 Turbo Regal 608 fwhp 575ftlbs at 5500rpm, 98 WhippledRiv, 97 GTP

Chats

Just flush your money down the toilet now and save yourself the time. Or give it to us...

Either way, it ain't happening. No amount of you tough talking on the Internet will make us believe it either.

Beginner mechanic my ass.
    Comp G. E85, 2.8, Headers, Tune, Intake, S1X, 105# springs, 60 # injectors, 255 walbro,etc.

*NEW* 2002 Camaro Z28- Lid, Headers, Catback

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan97Rut View Post
    First off before I start this post, I don't care about the cost and time it'll take to accomplish this project. It's my fun little project that I want to do. I want to convert my 2000 GTP to AWD or RWD. Would it be easier to buy a chassis of a AWD or RWD car and put the shell of my GTP onto it and make custom mounts?
    good, we have just over 20 years in our 4wd cutlass

probably easier to toss your engine into an aztek or transplanting a awd 4t65e drivetrain into it

swapping the awesome 3800 into something rwd would be the best since your able to use a conventional trans and a lot of off the shelf parts

If I wanted to make it to a manual could I hook up a manual transmission to the stock GTP engine or would I have to swap out both of them?
    its some std 5spd F body 3800 parts/60* v6 bellhousing, you could drop a full boogie 6 spd even

I'm just getting into working on cars and I thought this would be fun to do so I can learn things about it, I've done some searching and most of the answers are, it's a waste of time and money. But I don't care, I plan on keeping it for a long time.
    we're on our 3rd chassis/iteration, lots of stuff we've had to learn first hand with the packaging/suspension

one of the all time greatest projects ive ever seen, that car is proof of what splitting the pan/firewall at the pinch welds and putting a shell on is sweet happiness.
    projects: 84 Cressida waGN~ 90 LN3 3800, equal length headers, T70, 89 700r4, misc parts,

SE Level Member
    Chats

Just saw this post. God damn that c1irst guy o1s actually nuts. I mean its pretty simple his design. But all two engines, no wonder he needs 1200 hp. First guys design would be much easier. I mean if you were going to do that. Move the engine from the frong to the back. Bam all the same parts but custom mounts. The domain guy though, knows how to lay some bead.. my advice to OP. Wait a few years. Your going to start attempting any of those and actully just have a pile of scrap metal with wheels. Dont know the time frame for the second domain car guy. **** ton of work for 1 year though.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

SE Level Member
    Chats

So if your serious, there is only one way to do this with least amount of issues.
    I would look around for an AWD 4t65E, then go about making it function in the car. Knowing the trans ratio is critical also so some research will be needed. And hopefully finding one with same as your GTP is possible or it can be modified to do so.
    Now to facilitate this your going to have to make the exhaust tunnel bigger, modify fuel tank/system to clear and honestly I would look at 89-94 Tbird IRS. It can be had in 8.8in which is super strong.
    The rear suspension will require a lot of mods as your going to need hubs that accept axles. havent looked to see if any of the GM hubs would interchange.
    Boxing, reinforcing and adding in appropriate mounting for said rear suspension.
    The only other CHEAP thought would be reinforcing where rear lower arms mount, and building from SAY an S10 rear axle. Cutting, welding and reinforcing an upper control arm cross member would be fairly easy. If you have appropriate width rear axle remaking the rear struts into coil overs. Just take some machine work and proper mounting.
    Third possibility is adding in a leaf sprung suspension. Measuring from either lower control arms mounts or the sub at the rockerbox, to centerline of rear wheels. This would give you basic numbers then double the length. Your spring can have a slight amount longer to the rear and this would even make it ride bit better. Leaf springs are dependent on multiple leafs. BUT you need to bone up on suspension design read this ,https://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Your.../dp/0912656468
    Biggest issue is packaging and amount you want to modify. You may even be able to use rear drive from a Rendezvous.

SE Level Member
    Chats

Another thought would be Syclone/Typhoon chassis, mod/adapt 3800 to trans/transfer case combo shorten and narrow as needed and set body down on it.
    BUT scarce, and lots of modifying.

Chats

Here is the sad truth, if you have to ask how to do the awd or rwd conversion your not ready to do it. I'm not trying to be a dick but of all the members in this forum I would bet I could count on one hand the people who have pulled it off one of them being James (turbocharged400sbc) and as someone who has way to much money in a Gp I would advise you to go in a different direction. But I could be wrong, it happens alot
    Last edited by selliott; 23 Hours Ago at 11:03 PM.

Chats

Sellout is correctamundo