Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

Chats

Default Need help with kr

So recebtly ive upgraded my comp. A week ago i put some speed daddy headers in and some shortened dog bones, prior to this, once in a while id hit 1 kr, nothing serious but with the headers it went away completely. Now i run a 3" cai, 104s and a 180 tstat. Over the weekendi decided i needed.more boost. So on went a 3.4" pulley. Now anywhere at and above my past peak boost (7lbs) i hit kr. Up to 3.5* kr. Not always, in the cold mornings i can sometimes manage no kr at all and hit 12lbs boost. I have no tune yet, that will.be soon to come, but i wanna get rid of all kr before i get a tune... other than internals or a i/c what can i do to eliminate kr? Im debating trying to get new plugs as they have about 20-30k on them and are copper but i have no misfires so im not sure thats very neccassarry. I have a aerforce as well so if more info is needed its just one drive away.
    Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Turbo is the way to go. Fivefingerdeathpunch's Avatar
    Chats

Default Re: Need help with kr

Reduce the boost. Should have gone with a 3.6 on a GEN V blower because that's the same as going to a 3.2 on a GEN 3 blower.

Get a tune as well.

SMGPFC Member #1

Chats

Anything other than that? Pulley was free, cost me a mps

Chats

a tune can help, but you'll be cutting timing to reduce the kr. and you'd need to own th etuner to cut the timing as needed.

or run a meth kit or ic.

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

Chats

Yea i was looking into inj kits a little. Ic is too much money, this is just my daily. Besides, id like to save my money for when the trans goes at this point lol. What am i looking at getting power wise here though, i wasnt really planning on putting this small of a pulley on, it just kind hopped in my lap

Chats

pulleys are 40 to 50 bucks, buy a larger 3.5 and sell the 3.4 hell a 3.6 would be even safer if your not gonna tune it.

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

Chats

No, like i said, i planned on getting a tune, but i figured i should get my kr down any way possible first

Chats

Throw in some new plugs 30k is way to much on coper cores. 6 104s are like 12 bucks. I replace mine every few oil changes but I would not go over 10k on them.

02 GTP - AL103's, HPT (tuned by me), SD Headers, 42.5#, 3.0 Pulley, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, FS Intercooler, Frozen Boost FMHE, XP Cam, 90# Springs, meth inj (100% meth) Ported Heads. Ported blower and LIM.
    98 Turbo GTP T67 - $%&* too much to list.

Chats

Do you have access to e85? That'll kill it easy. If you don't want to completely switch, you can run a e30-e40 mix.

2001 GTP - cam, headers, nitrous, stock trans - 11.83 @ 116 <$2k in mods - sold
    2005 F350 6.0 - studded, deleted, bulletproofed, tuned
    1966 Olds Cutlass 442 Convertible
    2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0l

Chats

No e85, and as for the plugs im about to order some now, anyone know if the 104r's will be good?

Chats

They won't make any difference. Without an intercooler or better fuel, you will need a bigger pulley.

2001 GTP - cam, headers, nitrous, stock trans - 11.83 @ 116 <$2k in mods - sold
    2005 F350 6.0 - studded, deleted, bulletproofed, tuned
    1966 Olds Cutlass 442 Convertible
    2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0l

Chats

Welt tonight when i clock out in going to put some new plugs in and rry that out fir a night

Donating Users
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by 1969n2o View Post
    Welt tonight when i clock out in going to put some new plugs in and rry that out fir a night

Posting from another account, usually under blueguy.

However since the site is ****ed, you get my other half's profile.

You put too small of a pulley on it; bar none. Only thing you'll get away with tuning wise and colder plugs is too low of timing and a slow car. The thing probably would have been faster with headers and an intake with a tune and a stock 3.8" pulley. The misconception with you guys not researching is going to be more expensive when the motor sh1ts the bed. You think the IC is pricey? Wait till it chips a piston and you're putting a motor in.

Friendly advice on what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. Been where you are. Did it for years. Put the stock pulley back on it or get the correct supporting mods. Example: valvetrain mods (cam or rockers), find a used IC system, or have someone that knows what they're doing tune the thing. Don't find some fly by night dyno shop either.
    2012 Buick Regal Premium1 Turbo - White Diamond Tri-coat - 20% Tint - 5k HID Head/Fog Lights - ZZP CAI

Chats

Ive researched for years, since i had my ssei. I got a free oulley and said why not try it and see where my krs are. I had 2* kr stock with just an intake, the headers took that away completely so i figured id drop.the pulley size (i honestly didnt think much into it being .6" smaller than stock) but when i got the stock off and saw the difference in size i knew i was going to have issues. My main question really was just looking for cheapish ways to drop the kr. Sadly enough the only.place that ik of.in my area that can tune it wants a gnote to tune it, at least. Im not ignorant to what i did, hence why i dont get into boost anymore until i figure out a solution. I was really just wondering if anyone had any kind of tricks to dropping combustion temps with out running race gas or meth, which i already knew the answers to but was hoping i might have missed something

Chats

Its not that i dont wanna hear the "your stupid" its just i wanted opinions on different solutions.

Donating Users
    Chats

It's not .6" smaller, it's a 3.8" to a 3.4". The GenV doesn't have a 4" pulley.

I didn't call you stupid either; I'm telling you from experience. If you researched it there is plenty of evidence out there telling you to not drop past a 3.6"~ because the 3.6 on a GenV is basically like a 3.3"~ on a GenIII. I ran a 3.2" on a GenV with a 3" downpipe and an intake. However I had E85 and injectors. Simple solution. Otherwise, rockers and a tune should solve it. However 2-3* on a .4" is probably like 7+* on a stock pulley. The smaller the pulley is the issue. Which is why I never recommend doing it first, even with headers. I always say do the pulley drop as the very last thing.
    2012 Buick Regal Premium1 Turbo - White Diamond Tri-coat - 20% Tint - 5k HID Head/Fog Lights - ZZP CAI

Chats

Not to sound like a prock, but when i put a mic on my stock oulley, it reads 4.1, i took .1 off for lip around the belt. Idk if its been changed but its a press ob pulley so i doubt it. I wouldnt mind doing rockers but that would have to wait till summer time. And i was aware of the 3.6 being the lowest you can go but like i said, i figured why not try it and see where were at. I was not aware that 2-3* kr is like 7+ on a stock pulley. Kind of figured kr is kr honestly. Im going to wait till the tune gets in (sadly i bought a mail order zzp, due to ****ty tuners in my area, and overkill not ever responding) ill see where that gets me at and chances are ill end up buying a larger pulley. Im also going to go through it with my boss n see if hes got any old school hot rodding tips on cooler combustion chanber temps down. I was pretty bummed when he told me not to go near it with meth as i had been debating making a diy meth kit

Chats

why not use meth? it works. be best with a boost controller of some sort.

Donating Users
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by 1969n2o View Post
    Not to sound like a prock, but when i put a mic on my stock oulley, it reads 4.1, i took .1 off for lip around the belt. Idk if its been changed but its a press ob pulley so i doubt it. I wouldnt mind doing rockers but that would have to wait till summer time. And i was aware of the 3.6 being the lowest you can go but like i said, i figured why not try it and see where were at. I was not aware that 2-3* kr is like 7+ on a stock pulley. Kind of figured kr is kr honestly. Im going to wait till the tune gets in (sadly i bought a mail order zzp, due to ****ty tuners in my area, and overkill not ever responding) ill see where that gets me at and chances are ill end up buying a larger pulley. Im also going to go through it with my boss n see if hes got any old school hot rodding tips on cooler combustion chanber temps down. I was pretty bummed when he told me not to go near it with meth as i had been debating making a diy meth kit

No pulley was a 4.1".

Ever.

KR is KR, but it's exponentially more devastating as you pulley down. There isn't any "old school" tips other than tossing in cold AL103's, and a 160* T-Stat. That's about all you'll get there. Meth is fine. The best way would to be spray it post blower and tap the LIM, but most just do it post MAF, pre-blower.

Chats

stock pulley size on a gen 3 and gen 5 has always been 3.8"