Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New trunk

Chats

Default Re: Totaled?

Quote Originally Posted by Scottydoggs View Post
    we can see its shifted for sure. sit on it and hop up and down, on the down hop try to turn the key in the trunk lock. keep it turned once it turns or it might lock again on ya before you get off the lid.
    I'll try that when I get home.

And I just got word that they are talking to the insurance again because they still want to send it to a shop. I'm about ready to do this myself

Chats

once the trunk is open you'll see the extent of the damage. if your lucky its all the trunk lid and hinges and the body stayed straight.

for it to be totaled id be thinking it would need a quarter panel or both at least.

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

Chats

I bet a.bodyman could straighten and adjust that to a point where it looks and works OK with just a few tools and strong hands. I am one and believe I could. Try yeah pushing it back into place to un-bind the latch to open it. The striker (part on car side of latch) probably bent or scooted over, as well as the hinge to lid bolts. The lid probably isn't hurt as bad as it looks. I am in AR and have a 40th lid and spoiler if you're into those.

Chats

He did you a favor by busting that taillight.
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS - Stock DD mode
    1994 Dodge Stealth - Currently being revived. Modded

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    He did you a favor by busting that taillight.
    I wasn't going to say it, but that's the truth!
    2007 Grand Prix GXP;2002 Camaro Z28 - tune, CAI, and exhaust
    2006 GMC 2500HD - ATS high flow manifolds and uppipes, turbo back exhaust, blocked EGR, Denali headlights, Reflexxion Cown Hood
    1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme 2 door

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by LeadfootCJ7 View Post
    I wasn't going to say it, but that's the truth!
    I know I'm thinking about getting the Spyder LEDs but I don't know if I should get the smoked ones or tint them myself

Chats

Scotty, what you said worked I have it open and not much is bent. I'll take some pictures in a minute

Chats

Here are the pictures of the inside

And here is my attempt at bending it back

Chats

I forgot to mention the most important thing so far. I called my insurance and the won't insure a vehicle with a salvaged title. So now what?

Chats

id take it to the shop for a new est. then submit it. dont look to bad really.

see that screw/bolt looking thing in the hinge. pretty sure thats an adjustment right there. you might be able to lower the lid on the one side with it.

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Scottydoggs View Post
    id take it to the shop for a new est. then submit it. dont look to bad really.

see that screw/bolt looking thing in the hinge. pretty sure thats an adjustment right there. you might be able to lower the lid on the one side with it.
    We just decided to say f*ck the insurance and they'll pay me back the costs of the junk yard parts and the tail lights I buy. And if I need to get it painted her mom knows a guy that works at a shop but will give her a deal.

I'm going to the junk yard tomorrow morning. Do I need to get the things that hold the trunk up or just new brackets?

Also, is the old latch messed up or is the metal thing it latches to bent?

Chats

the hoop might be bent ( no pic of it) or the locks adjuster got pulled down if you open the trunk and look behind the key/lock you'll see whats going on better.

if the trunk stays up the lifts are still good, at the ends is a sleeve. use a pic to pop it free and the lift comes off its little boll joint there.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredthefail View Post
    I forgot to mention the most important thing so far. I called my insurance and the won't insure a vehicle with a salvaged title. So now what?
    It doesn't have to be totalled. Go read my original post.
    2006 GMC 2500HD - ATS high flow manifolds and uppipes, turbo back exhaust, blocked EGR, Denali headlights, Reflexxion Cown Hood

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by LeadfootCJ7 View Post
    It doesn't have to be totalled. Go read my original post.
    The problem with that is this is some random business insurance. It's not car insurance so to do all that they contact other companies and it would take at least a month but I could do it and drive this car by this afternoon

Chats

The problem with that is this is some random business insurance. It's not car insurance so to do all that they contact other companies and it would take at least a month but I could do it and drive this car by this afternoon
    It doesn't matter. This is all a negotiation. You tell them "You value my car at $3,000 and you show salvage value is $500. Write me a check for $2,500 and I will sign a release". You never give them your title. It is impossible for them to give it a salvage title if you never sign it over. The insurance company will always tell you what they want you to do and guide you that direction. You have to stand up for yourself. Been there done that several times.

Chats

Well here it is. I could do that but I want the experience of doing it myself. I hate taking it to a shop.

I'm going to put it on and make sure it fits when I get home. The brackets are slightly different but they might work. If they don't I can exchange them tomorrow

Chats

It's not the brackets that make it off....

Chats

I do not suggest swapping hinges yet. You'll crack the seam sealer and have a trunk leak. If the front corner sticks up too high, gently overextend that side's hinge (open lid too far) a little to bring the front corner down. If the striker holds the lid to one side, whack it with a 2x4 to bump it back.

Chats

It's not the brackets that make it off....

I see we were simul-typing. Adjust the striker as mentioned, or pull the sill trim piece and look to see if it slid under the bolts. Don't forget the height adjusters too.

Chats

My words were not clear so I went to my car for a pic. This is the striker. It controls the position of the rear of the deck lid-

One bolt is visible here, the others are behind the bumper. Car doesn't have a sill plate, just the trunk carpet so woops. Pull the weatherstrip back a ways and work the carpet over the striker if you want to see it. Your new lid looks barely off side-to-side, so thats the part where I suggest a 2x4 block against the striker then thumping the wood with a hammer. Or hitting the striker directly. Its probably sitting where it should be but just bent a little.

It is possible that the rubber screw in type bumpers on the lid are holding it up. If so, screw them in until it sits level. That should set the height unless the striker has moved upwards.

Is it hard to close? I'll check back after dark. Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast