Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New trunk

Chats

Default New trunk

So my girlfriend's dad backed into my car the other week and we went through insure to file a claim

The repair estimate from the shop was $2,203. But that's kind of bs because the trunk is going to cost the $800 to get but that's because it's being shipped from a junk yard. The tail lights are going to cost $300 according to them and all the rest is labor and paint.

I got an email today that says it's "deemed to be a total loss" and I have 2 options.
    1. I can choose to sell the car to them and they'll give me $2,041
    Or 2. I can choose to keep the vehicle as a salvage and they'll pay me $1,694 (which makes it impossible to sell down where I live)

So basically what I want to know is does this sound like bs to anyone else. And what would you do?

Chats

Default Re: Totaled?

Maybe don't go thru insurance and fix it out of pocket with junkyard parts then find a local shop to paint it for cheap ?
    2003 Buick Regal GSX lots of mods - click here to see latest build - http://www.grandprixforums.net/threa...ld-for-the-gsx

*For Reference - Does not have a Zack Howard Cam - It's an Intense Stage 3 - Thank You*

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyGuy03 View Post
    Maybe don't go thru insurance and fix it out of pocket with junkyard parts then find a local shop to paint it for cheap ?
    That's what I was thinking but can you undo a claim? I know I can find all the stuff I need and I know I can find the trunk in black at at least 3 different local junk yards

Chats

It doesn't reek of BS to me. Heck, I might just fix the decklid. I always "keep the salvage", take whatever they pay, and rock on. Only trouble is, if you had full coverage and want that again, the ins co may need to inspect the car first. Mine was OK with just a phone call last time. Otherwise, after a total, liability is all they can offer until the car is fully repaired. At least thats the rules here.

GT Level Member cheatah faheatah's Avatar
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredthefail View Post
    That's what I was thinking but can you undo a claim?
    I don't know for sure, but one would think that nothing is final until a check or other documents are signed.....
    not what it looks like

Chats

They want to talk to the insurance and see if there's another way. Like maybe get a cheaper quote?

GT Level Member cheatah faheatah's Avatar
    Chats

Is your girls Dad tryn to tell you something...?...lol..like I'll fix this Sum'B1tch...
    not what it looks like

Turbo is the way to go. Fivefingerdeathpunch's Avatar
    Chats

The car is worth 3k on a good day, being totaled sounds right for any car that's 15+ years old.

Take the money, fix the minor stuff and just drive it. It's not worth sticking a lot of money into.

SMGPFC Member #1

Chats

Well the comments poured in before I could respond.
    If you don't care about trying to re sell the car and only carry basic insurance - maybe take the check, buy the car back see how much money you're left with

maybe you could actually make money on it.
    Depends on the condition of your car and what your plans are
    2003 Buick Regal GSX lots of mods - click here to see latest build - http://www.grandprixforums.net/threa...ld-for-the-gsx

*For Reference - Does not have a Zack Howard Cam - It's an Intense Stage 3 - Thank You*

SE Level Member
    Chats

I would let them total it and keep the car if it was me. As a matter of fact this just happened to me due to minor hail damage. I was paid $3200.00 and kept the car, had the hail damage fixed for $275.00. The Total loss is listed on Carfax and now makes the car basically worthless, but I look at it as if I already sold the car and still get to keep driving it. Put $2900.00+ in my Pocket.

A Trunk lid can be had around here for $20.00 at just about any local pick and pull, heck might even find one the same color. Tail Lights are a little harder to source in perfect condition, but either way you may have a little over $300.00 tied up in it.

Oh and don't forget if you let them total it, you can still negotiated the value of the car before accepting the settlement. The Insurances first offer was right at $1800.00, then I started telling them everything I had done to the vehicle.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredthefail View Post
    So my girlfriend's dad backed into my car the other week and we went through insure to file a claim

The repair estimate from the shop was $2,203. But that's kind of bs because the trunk is going to cost the $800 to get but that's because it's being shipped from a junk yard. The tail lights are going to cost $300 according to them and all the rest is labor and paint.

I got an email today that says it's "deemed to be a total loss" and I have 2 options.
    1. I can choose to sell the car to them and they'll give me $2,041
    Or 2. I can choose to keep the vehicle as a salvage and they'll pay me $1,694 (which makes it impossible to sell down where I live)

So basically what I want to know is does this sound like bs to anyone else. And what would you do?
    Have you checked what a new OEM decklid costs? I would think you could get one for less. One out of a junk yard costing that much sounds crazy. Certainly there has to be one closer to save on shipping or a new part would be cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by waupachino View Post
    I would let them total it and keep the car if it was me. As a matter of fact this just happened to me due to minor hail damage. I was paid $3200.00 and kept the car, had the hail damage fixed for $275.00. The Total loss is listed on Carfax and now makes the car basically worthless, but I look at it as if I already sold the car and still get to keep driving it. Put $2900.00+ in my Pocket.

A Trunk lid can be had around here for $20.00 at just about any local pick and pull, heck might even find one the same color. Tail Lights are a little harder to source in perfect condition, but either way you may have a little over $300.00 tied up in it.

Oh and don't forget if you let them total it, you can still negotiated the value of the car before accepting the settlement. The Insurances first offer was right at $1800.00, then I started telling them everything I had done to the vehicle.
    It takes some pushing, but you can get insurance to cut you a check as if it is totalled, but they do not get the title so it is not salvage and at most carfax would show an accident. On a car like his, an accident won't seriously impact value.

If you like the car and it is mechanically sound, I would keep it and have it repaired whether letting insurance fix it or having them pay you the difference between the totalled value and salvage value, but you don't have to give them the title.

Lastly, you can negotiate the value by finding similar cars in similar condition (miles, options, etc) and submit them. They will typically want 3 and will average them. If they can find lower comps, they will try to use them. Be prepared to refute how these are not similar condition. Typically the first offer from an insurance company is low. They do this to save money. If you are happy with the offer, its fine, but a little checking might be worthwhile to you.
    2007 Grand Prix GXP;2002 Camaro Z28 - tune, CAI, and exhaust
    2006 GMC 2500HD - ATS high flow manifolds and uppipes, turbo back exhaust, blocked EGR, Denali headlights, Reflexxion Cown Hood
    1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme 2 door

Chats

[QUOTE=LeadfootCJ7;1459332]Have you checked what a new OEM decklid costs? I would think you could get one for less. One out of a junk yard costing that much sounds crazy. Certainly there has to be one closer to save on shipping or a new part would be cheaper.

The collision center said the trunk lid is discontinued so they were going to get it shipped from the only junkyard in the area that actually ships parts. I can go get one myself for 150 with a spoiler

Chats

Actually I can find one with the spoiler for 40 but I might have to get it painted

Chats

Here's the only major problem with doing it myself.

The trunk lid is pushed over the other panel so it can't open so I guess I need a way to put it back into place just to get it off

And this is what it looks like farther back

Turbo is the way to go. Fivefingerdeathpunch's Avatar
    Chats

Maybe grab the raised part with some gloves and try yanking it over to help, seems the latch and hinges might be binding. Or carefully put a block of wood on that corner above the tailight and smack the trunk lid over with a hammer to shift it back into place.

SMGPFC Member #1

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Fivefingerdeathpunch View Post
    Maybe grab the raised part with some gloves and try yanking it over to help, seems the latch and hinges might be binding. Or carefully put a block of wood on that corner above the tailight and smack the trunk lid over with a hammer to shift it back into place.
    Yep. If you can get in the trunk from the back seat with a light you can probably get the trunk open with a scredriver or prybar. Just try not to damage the latch. Is the drivers side rear quarterpanel damaged at all? If not, that looks like an easy fix. I would certainly look for a lid elsewhere. If people really pay those prices, I am in the wrong business.
    2007 Grand Prix GXP;2002 Camaro Z28 - tune, CAI, and exhaust
    2006 GMC 2500HD - ATS high flow manifolds and uppipes, turbo back exhaust, blocked EGR, Denali headlights, Reflexxion Cown Hood
    1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme 2 door

Chats

have to ask...you try the key? looks to be pressure on the lock where the power lock might not have the power to open the latch.

if it comes to it, take the back seat out, grab a flash light and a 10 mm on a extension and take the lock off.

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 3.0, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned by me. https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Scottydoggs View Post
    have to ask...you try the key? looks to be pressure on the lock where the power lock might not have the power to open the latch.

if it comes to it, take the back seat out, grab a flash light and a 10 mm on a extension and take the lock off.
    Can't say I have but I think it's the fact that the trunk lid is pushed over on top of the quarter panel on the passengers side. It might be kind of hard to tell in that picture. I'll try to get a better pic

Chats

This is how it overlaps the panel

Chats

we can see its shifted for sure. sit on it and hop up and down, on the down hop try to turn the key in the trunk lock. keep it turned once it turns or it might lock again on ya before you get off the lid.

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 3.0, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned by me. https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast