Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New GT owner

SE Level Member
    Chats

Default New GT owner

Hello long time lurker first time registered. I own a 2007 GP GT. My 9 year old told me the other day she wants to drive this car when she turns 16 so I plan to drop some money into the car this summer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

20160419_175507.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

GTP Level Member cheatah faheatah's Avatar
    Chats

Default Re: New GT owner

Welcome, and Happy Birthday! What specific areas do you think need attention? She's a lucky girl...
    not what it looks like

SE Level Member
    Chats

Thanks! I'm spending my time and money this summer getting any repairs/replacements I need done to keep it running smooth. I've owned this vehicle for almost 3 years now. First 2 years were great. Cam sensor went out a few months ago and now I'm miss firing random cylinders and getting a code for the supercharger. I believe it was the "charging circuit" for the supercharger.

I'm starting with a tune up (OEM plugs and wires) then I'm going to make a list of everything under the hood I need to take care of. Once the engine area is covered I will start with the rest of the unit (alignment, tires, rotors, suspension, etc).

I am hoping to get some insight from some GP owners who could lead me to the most important parts under the hood to take care of first. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Chats

A few things come to mind, replace coolant elbows w/aluminum ones, while your there, flush coolant and check rad/htr hoses, check serp. belt....I'm sure others here will chime in with more...E
    not what it looks like

Chats

you got at least 6 years to go here, just keep up on its maint, if your lucky it wont rust out before he gets his lic.

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

SE Level Member
    Chats

Great. I added that to my list. I already see a few hoses I need to replace so a coolant flush would be ideal. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated !

Chats

I prefer to get my parts from Advance, order online (save 20%) {I get 20% code from phone app, but I find it easier to order from my laptop using savings code from phone app}and pick-up in store (no shipping). Also join Speedperks, their loyalty program, Spend $100 get $20 off next purchase of $50 or more, spend $30 get $5 of $20. Careful selection of parts/prices will yield maximum savings( around 45%). Rewards show up in my account within a week. AutoZone, Pepboys, O'reiley, are the others around here, but Adv. rewards are best. Others on here use RockAuto.com.
    not what it looks like

Chats

Default New GT owner

Trt41 $40 off of $100

Buy almost everything from Amazon now. Similar price as promo coded advance.

Also oil undercoating the cars is a great way to prevent them from Rusting out. FluidFilm is also becoming very popular as it is environmentally friendly way to oil undercoat the cars.
    Last edited by sseilmnop; 01-09-2017 at 02:23 PM.
    02 SSEi, 55k NC car, Gen 5, 2-1/4" hybrid intecooler, 1.9 yella terra, overkill tune.
    I sell Hybrid Phenolic Intercoolers , Gen 5 TB adapters, boost by-pass actuators, Supercharger couplers and all bearings!!

Chats

Imo, I wouldn't use the aluminum coolant elbows. I would just get new plastic gm elbows.

2001 GTP - cam, headers, nitrous, stock trans - 11.83 @ 116 <$2k in mods - sold
    2005 F350 6.0 - studded, deleted, bulletproofed, tuned
    1966 Olds Cutlass 442 Convertible
    2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0l

SE Level Member
    Chats

Whats the reason?

There are a ton of cosmetic upgrades I want to do but before I start them I want to take care of everything necessary. If anyone can think of anything else please let me know. Supercharger oil?

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Bmplank86 View Post
    Whats the reason?

There are a ton of cosmetic upgrades I want to do but before I start them I want to take care of everything necessary. If anyone can think of anything else please let me know. Supercharger oil?

he makes crap up as he goes. use the metal if you like. at least they wont blow out on ya.

sc oil, you need 2, 4 oz bottles, it will take almost all of it. and a way to get the old oil out, like syringe or a spray bottle with the end cut off, then you spray it out into the spray guns bottle. like old windex bottle and its spray gun top.

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by sseilmnop View Post
    Trt41 $40 off of $100
    This is a valid code for Advance!! I just put a part over $100 in "my cart" and entered this code, and it's good. Thank You Mr.lmnop....Can this code be used more than once? Thanks again....E
    not what it looks like

Chats

yes it can. most of use will break the orders up into 2 orders to get the most of the codes, thats not the only code out there. google for advance auto discount codes, retail me not will be listed at the top, has a full list of codes.

Chats

trt41 has been available for years. May have been trt40 before.

But Advance always has a $40 of of $100 code somewhere like www.retailmenot.com
    02 SSEi, 55k NC car, Gen 5, 2-1/4" hybrid intecooler, 1.9 yella terra, overkill tune.
    I sell Hybrid Phenolic Intercoolers , Gen 5 TB adapters, boost by-pass actuators, Supercharger couplers and all bearings!!

Chats

^^^^ Thank You Both, I've looked @ rmn before... I guess not well enough...thanks again....E
    not what it looks like

Chats

Sorry Guy, I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread with all my penny pinching...lol...Let me remind the members, He's also still looking for repair and maint. advice....carry on, all
    not what it looks like

Chats

penny pinching, ha, a lot of us will be like 5 bucks short of a code working, thats when you add on air fresheners, rags, lube, anything cheap you can use, cause after all, spending 5 more gets you 40 off.

Chats

Car wash soap.
    Leather conditioner.
    Oil filters.
    Etc..

Chats

Default New GT owner

Error

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Scottydoggs View Post
    penny pinching, ha, a lot of us will be like 5 bucks short of a code working, thats when you add on air fresheners, rags, lube, anything cheap you can use, cause after all, spending 5 more gets you 40 off.

turn/park bulbs
    gas treatment
    brake fluid
    been there, done that..lol
    not what it looks like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast