Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

SE Level Member
    Chats

Default Coolant Issue 2008 GP Base

Hey guys, could use your opinions/advice on a issue I have with my 2008 GP Base.

I had a thermostat issue in November with my car suddenly "overheating" within 10 minutes of driving.
    Got that replaced, then in December, my water pump(leaking through)went, then the overheating started again. Now my car won't turn over (the battery and alternator are fine, oil just changed before Christmas). My friend(who works at a shop), came to my place to see what is wrong, and he said he smelled gas in the radiator, which could be the head gasket. But, after texting him, he thinks it could be the intake gaskets going bad, which could be the overheating and no igniting reason.

What do you guys think?

Chats

Default Re: Coolant Issue 2008 GP Base

wont crank? or cranks and wont fire?

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

SE Level Member
    Chats

Won't fire. There's a few moments where it sounds like it, but nope.

Chats

check for fuel pressure on the fuel rail, your pal work at pep boys or some low class place? you will never smell gas in the radiator.

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

Turbo is the way to go. Fivefingerdeathpunch's Avatar
    Chats

2008's are super unlikely to have lower intake gasket issue, they were an updated design from the factory compared to the ones used prior to 2005.5ish.

I'd be checking fuel pressure, unplug the MAF sensor and then try and start it, use starting fluid to see if it fires. Check for strong spark at each coil. (just unhook both wire at one coil and crank it, the spark should be very strong across the two terminals.)

SMGPFC Member #1

SE Level Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Scottydoggs View Post
    check for fuel pressure on the fuel rail, your pal work at pep boys or some low class place? you will never smell gas in the radiator.
    Lol. I mean I smelled it right after the pressure cap was taken off too. I don't know though.

SE Level Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Fivefingerdeathpunch View Post
    2008's are super unlikely to have lower intake gasket issue, they were an updated design from the factory compared to the ones used prior to 2005.5ish.

I'd be checking fuel pressure, unplug the MAF sensor and then try and start it, use starting fluid to see if it fires. Check for strong spark at each coil. (just unhook both wire at one coil and crank it, the spark should be very strong across the two terminals.)
    I'll try that.

SE Level Member
    Chats

My friend/mechanic said this too:

Yeah could be too much unmetered air getting into the engine causing it to not start from the intake gaskets or coolant getting into the cylinders

Chats

Your vehicle will run with a bad intake gasket, just not for long (the coolant will wreck the lower end). Your 08 more than likely doesn't have intake gasket issues as like Fivefinger said, your vehicle came with updated aluminum-framed gaskets.

Listen for the fuel pump when you turn the key to the "ON" position, you should hear it prime for a few seconds. Definitely sounds like a fuel or spark related issue either way.
    For thine is the Cam, The Piston, and The Rod, Forever and ever (or until they break). Amen.

SE Level Member
    Chats

So I did take it to my friends shop. He said he still smelled fuel in the radiator. He also said it could be a cylinder head issue, but it's too involved to see. He thinks it's best if I get a used car or the other option would be an engine swap.

GTP Level Member cheatah faheatah's Avatar
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Fivefingerdeathpunch View Post
    I'd love to know how fuel can get in the radiator on these cars.
    Me Too, Me Too !!
    not what it looks like

SE Level Member
    Chats

Yall are silly. Lol. I mean it shouldn't be near the radiator, but since I had a busted water pump (which I should've replaced immediately, which most likely caused the overheating), that could've messed up alot of stuff. All the opinions I got were head gaskets blown. Which are about $130 for the 08, it's the labor that sucks.

Chats

your pal is retarded, ill say it, yup, hes clueless. theres no way raw fuel can get in the rad. exhaust gas is from a blown head gasket maybe, but you'll never smell gas, if you pal had a clue he'd do a compression test, but fuel in the rad means you need a new engine, and i bet he wants to sell and install for you????? for how much?

SE Level Member
    Chats

I'm sure he meant exhaust gas, but never explicitly went that easy in the discussion. But yeah, that means new engine. It's like 1200 when it's all said and done. I'm sure if I buy the parts that are needed, including the water pump, that'll help somewhat.