Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loc's 1998 GTP

SE Level Member
    Chats

Default Loc's 1998 GTP

Hello,

I just got into the GTP. I have always liked them and finally decided to jump into one. So without further ado, heres some of my new baby:

I paid $300 for it. Yes $300. The engine has a knock in it but the local wrecking yard has a complete replacement for $700 with a 1 year warranty. Not EXACTLY sure what's causing the knock but I figured for $700 I get a whole new motor under warranty with a BUNCH of spare parts lol. Ill just swap the motors then see if the original one is rebuildable. It does drive and I drove it home 20 miles without issues except for the horrendous knock. Don't think it's Rod but possible Wrist pin or could very well be Oil Pump. But like I said $700 with 1 yr warranty, I'm not even gonna diagnose. Hell rebuild kit is almost $500 with $150 machine shop and I wouldnt even have a warranty. And what happens I get to the block and find out it isn't usable. better I just get this girl going now then take my time with the other motor (and add goodies )

I've rebuilt the motors in my Civic, wife's accord and her Durango (and 4 yrs ago an LT1) so I'm not new to rebuilding motors (or replacing them). I've already downloaded a FSM.

Everything seems to work except the Map lights, the HUD, and of course the knocking motor. I've read on possible issues with the HUD so I'll attack that while I wait for my motor to get here.

I figured $300 with a $700 motor I cant go wrong since most GTP around here sell for 1500 with motor issues. Most in decent shape for for $3k. I've owned a 95 Z28 but went into the Honda crowd for the last couple three years. Tires are pretty much new, theres no rips or tears in it. Has almost every option installed and most items working just fine.

I'll keep posted over the next few months.

GTX Level Member QUICKSILVER462's Avatar
    Chats

Default Re: Loc's 1998 GTP

NIce car, and even nicer pole barn!

SE Level Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by QUICKSILVER462 View Post
    NIce car, and even nicer pole barn!

LOL thanks. Someday I'll get around to cementing part of the floor but for now I just lie down a couple of boards when I do work after sweeping and watering the floor.

SE Level Member
    Chats

1: Map Lights don't work cause the entire switch system is gone (the guts). Will have to find one somewhere
    2: Checked Aux Lights. Turns out BOTH bulbs burnt out. Ordered new bulbs.
    3: Fixed sunroof sticking. Works nice and smooth now
    4: Gonna hit the HUD tomorrow.
    5: Engine will be here Tues.

1: Press the Traction Control Switch and won't change off. The Light won't come on. Gonna have to review this
    2: ABS light is on. I'll track down which wheel
    3: Headliner is coming down. Gonna buy some spray glue for now

SE Level Member
    Chats

Got the HUD out. Tore the HELL out of my thumb. Didn't realize the dash panel had a sharp edge. Butterfly bandage, nu skin, and lots of tape. Should be ok.

Anyways had a friend come over to solder the projector since I'm crippled now. Put it all back together and BOOM, HUD works yay!

That's all I'm going to do today. Took wife's narco and going to bed.

SE Level Member
    Chats

Well....I took off an extra day so I'd have 5 days to play with the car......

And got sick on Day 01 grrr

Feeling better today but still a bit bleh. Gonna try to go out and get the motor out in between trips to the bathroom.

Got a couple friends who said they'd come over and help. I was hoping to do this myself but I need the car running. Been using the wife's Durango for work and tired of the 12 mpg lol (we bought her an Accord for daily and use the Durango as a backup vehicle)

The new bulbs came in for the Aux Lights. Waiting on LED bulbs to do the dash

SE Level Member
    Chats

Friend and the wife.

Old motor on the Puller, new motor on the stand. Everything is swapping over but had to change the Alternator bracket (the motor is off a 99 Regal GS). Everything else is lining up just fine. That stinking hidden trans bolt is a pain in the....arse

Gonna swap everything tomorrow. Pick up new plugs, wires, and Thermo on Tues. Then install Next Sat/Sun

Chats

Going nicely! If the old motor is knocking it's probably toast and rebuilding the bottom end on these motors isn't worth it, 50% fail right away.

No more GP 04 Impala SS Indy:
    Gen V 3.6|FWI|N* TB lq4 MAF|1.8 Rockers|F&R Plogs|ZZP 3" Catted DP|ZZP 2.5" Catback|

SE Level Member
    Chats

Ugh Ok thanks for the heads up. Any particular reason why they fail? or is it just like the older Holley Carbs....once you use em they suck to rebuild lol

Chats

Once the crankshaft is even unbolted the blocks tend to twist...

Unless you have a bad ass (they seriously need to be legit) shop completely machine the entire block perfectly, it's what we call a 100 mile engine. Plus JY 3800s are cheap and still somewhat plentiful.

Handling upgrades, go-slow parts, and an attitude.

SE Level Member
    Chats

Thanks for the heads up

We do have a damn good machine shop here locally so maybe I'll send them the block and crank and let them look at it.

Got everything transferred over waiting for plugs wires and thermostat tomorrow and then drop it in this weekend.

We did find number 5 cylinder did spin a bearing

SE Level Member
    Chats

New motor ready for install. Gotta pick up a couple studs for the exhaust tomorrow but new plugs, thermo, wires, valve cover gaskets. Gonna drop it in Saturday

Chats

good luck Loc.. you'll need a 6 pack for sure
    Just a bunch of junk thrown together http://www.grandprixforums.net/threa...shes-a-runner)

SE Level Member
    Chats

#5 cylinder. Crank and rod is fine though. #1 and #3 had play in the rods at the crank but the bearings a-ok.

Got motor mounted. Some things hooked up when I had to help a friend.

Hook up a couple hoses, all wires, starter, ac, power steering and the exhaust flange and it'll be time for first start

SE Level Member
    Chats

Quick Update.

So yesterday found out I had the wrong Exhaust flange gasket AND misplaced a power steering bolt. Picked up the right stuff today BUT it's lightly snowing. Did manage to put the pump on however but man it's COLD out there (my "shop" doesnt have a door).

So hopefully soon Ill hook up the last 4 plugs, connect the exhaust flange, mount the Oil Filter base Assembly, install battery, fluids and fire up

SE Level Member
    Chats

Had first start tonight.

Cuts out pretty bad when giving it gas. Have to baby it to get it to respond. Engine light on. And the Oil Filter Adapter plate is streaming a leak. Think I got the gasket screwed up when I put a new one on.

Starting to snow so it's pretty damn cold out. Gonna wait till this weekend to fix the issues.

But idles really nice and doesn't smoke lol.

SE Level Member
    Chats

Ok quick update.

Went back outside to check the MAF sensor. Unplugged it, plugged it back in. Noticed the IAC unplugged so plugged it in.

Cleared the codes.......

Fired up and ran beautiful (cept for the massive oil waterfall). Responded to throttle, etc. Ran really good.

So gonna pick up the gasket tomorrow and get this ole girl on the road

Chats

It's always the simple stuff, lol

Handling upgrades, go-slow parts, and an attitude.

SE Level Member
    Chats

WOOHOO.

So the gasket did get screwed up. Replaced it. Ran it at idle with occasional rev for 15 minutes. No leaks. Heater blowing warm and the temp topped at about 160 (its about 45 outside).

Running pretty damn good. Found a Map Light system for Sunroof at the local Auto wrecking yard and installed (YAY).

Working HUD installed.

Tomorrow I'll check the tire pressure, put the hood on, clean her up and take her for a official test spin.

On a side note I have an ABS light on. Are there any common issues with these and ABS? I know on International CE 200 they have a tendency to slide out a bit. So looking for common issues before diving in. I'd love the TCS to work in the snow lol

SE Level Member
    Chats

First test drive.

Temp got to about 195 then back to 180 so tells me its cooling properly.

No cruise Control. So ABS/TCS/and Cruise all out. Pretty sure theres a connection problem for all 3 somewhere.

Everything else works and damn these things kick lol.

Got home and smoke rolled out from underneath. Smelled like it's oil. I dumped a bit, had that leak, and it sat in a Junkyard for lord knows how long. Didnt see any obvious leaks and it was coming from the front Exhaust Manifold. Valve Covers appear to be ok.

Anywho really want my cruise to work lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast