Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    I can't car too good. SaukRapids's Avatar
    Chats

Default Re: 2005 CompG - A Brake Caliper Misadventure!

New rear calipers arrived in many boxes.

Delco hoses should be here tomorrow. I also got the ABS module back from Matt at cheapabs.com last week.

It's plugged back in, but my brakes will need bleeding. Hope it's all fixed or onto speed sensors, I think. (Matt did end up fixing it)

No sense trading money for hp just yet. The suspension looks pretty crusty ..like the paint. Lol
    Last edited by SaukRapids; 07-06-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Chats

Default Re: 2005 CompG - A Brake Caliper Misadventure!

I got the new calipers installed onto the R1's. The only parts not new are the rear hoses, which I have. Rounded a flare nut, so old hoses till hard lines replaced. (unless the flex hoses collapse)

The red peeks out nicely.

I don't think the rears got quite bedded all the way. I'll have to try again.

Edit: This white zinc corrosion or whatever it is eventually came off with a bit of work. Honestly not sure what it is. They're still black on the edge and hat, just not "new" looking. The gold or silver rotors might not do the same.

And I said something about money and horsepower.. this showed up last week, lol. Was hard to get excited about with the flu, but there it is.

I think I'll leave it in the sealed box until I get that far. The suspension needs work, but the brakes cost more than planned.

Next time, then.
    Last edited by SaukRapids; 07-06-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Chats

Default Re: 2005 CompG - Increased Speed Reduction Performance Parts Installed

it's almost criminal how pathetic the oem brakes are. I couldn't believe the difference when I changed to F-Body brakes on my 2001. The PLX should be good for you, if you are using HP Tuners, the new software makes integration really seamless, at least if you have the pro version.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMarshal View Post
    it's almost criminal how pathetic the oem brakes are
    Indeed. The difference is night and day, especially when stomped on. Those old, burned up little rear pads.. kinda feel bad for the poor things, lol.

Drove it enough with the ABS module working, I'll be taking the all this tape off my board. (Ghetto, I know.)

My gf is ecstatic all the lights will be working. I might change the needles with the other cluster I got laying around when I remove the tape. They're edged differently ..and this isn't really even how they look now.

It might stay warm enough to have it back on the road for the season! It's making really good boost in this 45 degree weather now, though. Lol
    Last edited by SaukRapids; 07-06-2017 at 10:52 AM.

GT Level Member
    Chats

Good read, nice work so far! I picked up an 04 comp g last year in decent shape , and its been a reliable car so far. I noticed on your window sticker your car came with a block heater, a great option for any cold weather area. Any chance you can post a pic next time you are under there?

Chats

Default Re: My 05 CompG: Project Want-Not, aka "The Stock Car"

I wired up an input after I found an old thread. It works, and I think it looks good.

Last edited by SaukRapids; 07-06-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Chats

I took a couple new pics in the lot near a park. The paint's still clinging to life. The rims are delaminating even more and leakin' like nobody's business.

But, the brakes are finally fixed and feel great. I recommend looking at R1 eline's if you need rotors. This setup grabs unbelievably good, and more impressively, they're extremely smooth.

So it's been new front flex hoses, four new calipers, all new rotors and pads..I bought some hardware, fluid, etc. That's a good chunk of what I'd planned to spend the entire season, so it's over budget already. The parking brake is still waiting for the cables. (*sigh* yeah, yeah..)

Wheels went up a bit since the season's in. Have to see what happens over the summer on those.

I am, however, looking at making the Gen V a real centerpiece, like so many others. Looking at options for something different. More on that later.

Oh, the post title. The resonator has a nice long set of breathing gaps on a lengthwise seam. Might do a vid how loud it gets before it falls apart, lol.
    Last edited by SaukRapids; 07-06-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Chats

Default Re: 2005 CompG - Back in The Sun and The Resonator's New Gills!

A new arrival! I had to pass one up from here, but found another Gen V. Time was just dragging waiting for this thing today, lol.

The plan is to have this one ready to swap on when I do the LIMs. Wanted to post this up after I had more info, but couldn't wait. I'm stoked.
    Last edited by SaukRapids; 07-06-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Chats

Looks like it was well packed. lol

i'm glad to see you received it.

Chats

Yeah, for sure weighed 50+lbs too. Lol

Definitely "WYSIWYG". Not sure what color to do on there, yet.

It's cleverly hidden for now. Thanks!

Last edited by SaukRapids; 07-06-2017 at 11:05 AM.

GT Level Member
    Chats

Paint the S/C and the valve covers the same as the car!
    2007 Antique Bronze Metalic Grand Prix GT...bone stock.

Chats

An earlier topic got me wondering about my own Gen V and porting it's case. Unable to decide, I contacted Steigemeier. They got back saying their work increases output %7. That number's menial to me. Especially, after I learned the price. I have no mods. This would give me alot of overhead room. That cost, tho.

I have to ask myself, is having this little tag worth $695 for their porting service?

But damn! Look at that shine! Now I'm thinking maybe polish the outside vs paying to have someone play with the inside. That's cool to me, right there. Anyway.. port, or don't port? Hmm..
    Last edited by SaukRapids; 07-02-2017 at 01:32 AM.

GT Level Member
    Chats

Default Re: 2005 CompG - Dear Mr. Stiegemeier,

No mods, just polish is my vote.

Chats

you could just buy the one for sale for a little more than the cost of the actual porting. based on some figures found in a gen 3 vs gen 5 difference article and the 7% output figure given by steigemeier, there would be an additional 37.8 cfm. a gen 5 flows like 540 cfm, which is 20 cfm more than a gen 3, so that's quite a big difference in my opinion.

the thing I wonder is how much cfm does a 62mm cartuning turbo flow, and if the flow numbers are similar, then the cost is definitely worth the price.

http://www.regalgs.org/topic/54470-g...l=supercharger

Chats

No port.

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMarshal View Post
    there would be an additional 37.8 cfm
    I hadn't looked at the numbers, thanks. That is a significant increase, but it'll have to spin faster to take full advantage. More spin, more heat. More intercooler?

See, that stuff's a ways off yet. Gonna try and get at the suspension some this season after taking care of that blown out resonator.

Found old things that say I might be looking for gr8racingfool, Farnsworth, or possibly Reptile for case polishing. (their status pending due to age of the platform/forum)

Along with polishing, I've looked at other ideas. First, looks like taking it all the way apart is more fun than I'd hoped for. Then, I don't think you'd wanna dip the thing, even if it's possible. Powdercoat chrome might come out like a big shiny turd. Paint works great, last long ..but everyone kinda has it.

Yeah, that intercooler. Should be able to do it up like this and keep stock (or lower) temps on the charge. Not so sure about cutting any of the vehicle, though.
    https://www.prismaticpowders.com/powder-coating-colors/ (You'll have to type "chameleon" in the search box)

I really like "Chameleon Sapphire Teal"

Someone asked about the block heater. No pics yet. Weather today is somewhere between horsesh*t n foul, so.

I don't have any pics this time so here's a rather confused looking GP.

Last edited by SaukRapids; 04-20-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added color of preference.

Chats

It's not confused anymore... it's just throwing it's hands up in the air.

Handling upgrades, go-slow parts, and an attitude.

SE Level Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by SaukRapids View Post
    I took a couple new pics in the lot near a park. The paint's still clinging to life. The rims are delaminating even more and leakin' like nobody's business.

But, the brakes are finally fixed and feel great. I recommend looking at R1 eline's if you need rotors. This setup grabs unbelievably good, and more impressively, they're extremely smooth.

So it's been new front flex hoses, four new calipers, all new rotors and pads..I bought some hardware, fluid, etc. That's a good chunk of what I'd planned to spend the entire season, so it's over budget already. The parking brake is still waiting for the cables. (*sigh* yeah, yeah..)

Wheels went up a bit since the season's in. Have to see what happens over the summer on those.

I am, however, looking at making the Gen V a real centerpiece, like so many others. Looking at options for something different. More on that later.

Oh, the post title. The resonator has a nice long set of breathing gaps on a lengthwise seam. Might do a vid how loud it gets before it falls apart, lol.
    Can't believe I still haven't seen that sweet looking thing driving around yet!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by WarStryker13 View Post
    It's not confused anymore... it's just throwing it's hands up in the air.
    Right? I feel like someone just said to it, "WHO DID THIS TO YOU?!" Lol

Quote Originally Posted by JakeGerm View Post
    Can't believe I still haven't seen that sweet looking thing driving around yet!
    Thanks. Don't think I'm far from the apartments in your ride thread. Maybe I need to take it out more.

GT Level Member
    Chats

Someone asked about the block heater. No pics yet. Weather today is somewhere between horsesh*t n foul, so.

Thats me. No rush.
    It's something I am considering adding, along with possibly heated mirrors. Thanks

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast