Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354
Results 1,061 to 1,066 of 1066
    Chats

Default Re: Project LQ4 - V8 S10 - Rear end stuff...

I tack welded the Explorer brake cable bracket to the frame. Should be just enough to hold permanently, or remove easily if needed.

Splash a little paint to make it look professional

This may or may not work, but for the 15 minutes it took to burn the bracket on to the frame, I'm willing to give it a shot. It's a zero dollar solution if it does work.

GT Level Member
    Chats

Coming back to the party pretty late. Couldn't you swap the gears from the new rear into the old and save the cutting/welding?

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by BillBooost37 View Post
    Couldn't you swap the gears from the new rear into the old and save the cutting/welding?
    For sure. Certainly an option. Like I've seen you say many times before, anything is possible. I chose to modify a completely different rear end for a couple reasons;

To buy just the ring and pinion gear (even a used set) would be nearly half the cost of a complete junkyard rear
    Installing a gear set requires tools I don't currently own (dial type inch lb torque wrench for the pinion pre-load), dial indicator with mag base...
    I would also need an instal kit (crush sleeve and assorted shims to locate the carrier) There's about another $100. Give or take.
    Probably the biggest reason is, I didn't want the hassle of setting up a new ring and pinion set. Backlash, tooth pattern, pre-load... Forget all that noise. Cut the tube twice, clamp on some angle iron and burn it in. It's a gamble, but it's a pretty safe gamble. Like hitting on 11.

Plus, I was able to sell (at full disclosure of it's condition) the 4:10 rear for $170. That's close to what I paid for the "new" 3:73 rear. I call that a wash.

Chats

Well I did end up moving the bracket back a couple inches. Looks like bracket placement is what determines/balances the timing between the right and left brake. I tried to get it as close as possible, but the spring should compensate for any error. Clamped a vise grip to the cable and gave it a tug. Stopped both wheels from spinning while in the air. So far, so good...

Just need to figure out what to do with the extra length.

My options:
    1.) Try to find a pre-made 26" intermediate parking brake cable
    2.) Try to find someone locally to swage (?) a new end on the existing cable
    3.) Put a loop in the existing cable and secure with a cable clamp to "use up" the slack

I'm leaning toward #3 just for proof of concept. If the cable gets damaged, I can get another section at the yard.

Chats

id be all over #3 too, cut the cable in a clear area and use two cable clamps.

98 Buick Regal GS, F body brakes, Caddy STS wheels, tinted tails L36 bottom end, lightly ported heads, 1.95 roller rockers, headers, 2.8, FSIC, 42 lb injectors, a BrandonHall rebuilt trans, DHP tuned and AEM water/Meth injection https://goo.gl/gpV5kW

Chats

Yup. That's what I did. Too much effort to cut the cable though. Just make a loop and call it.

The concept proves good. The brakes hold........mostly. Enough to keep it from moving while idling in gear, but nothing more than that. I'm betting once I adjust the pads, the hold will be greatly improved. I'll do that next time I have the wheels off.

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354