Pontiac Grand Prix Forums : Grandprix

Grand Prix Forums is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum - Welcome Register today! Contact us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I can't car too good. SaukRapids's Avatar
    Chats

Default Re: New caliper, line or both?

No. That's just the easiest way to embed. You have to host offsite because of the size limit though.

The caliper.. I have looked, but I don't recall if the service manual shows exactly what all goes on with the ebrake bracket.

Chats

I've rebuilt my rears before... A pain in the d*ck to get that spring back in but it's possible... bad news is one of the rebuilds failed (I fcked it up. lol) and started leaking again after a month.

I went with all new calipers, all 4 corners, cuz doing that again wasn't something I felt like doing. I did new rotors and pads at the same time, and I'm still decently pleased with how they're doing.
    Might as well go big, you're going home at the end of the day regardless.
    04 GP GT2: Slow and a dirty, dirty sloot.

Chats

OK. Good. I wouldn't want to clog up the board.

Although my rebuild kit was the wrong one, I came across a technique for inserting the clip rings (spring rings, I called them) that sounded good. - It was tied with wire, and then was worked into place after pressing down the spring. The C-clamp was all over the place, as usual, and I used a 1/2" copper piping coupler as a voided press-spacer. A hole drilled into a block of wood for the p-brake shaft gave stability for working on it.

I will attempt a rebuild again since the other one should not be far behind. It seems rebuilding is getting a little more popular. - Oh, the joy /sarcasm.

By the way, what was the f-up?

Chats

I pinched the pad-side seal between the edge of the piston and the caliper body by accident... It looked fine at the time, but I guess I weakened it enough to split open after use/pressure and it vomited brake fluid directly onto the pad. Which in turn put it on the rotor. Not good. lol

I was tired and kinda in a hurry, so I figured I probably fubar'd something else as well. Lack of time/motivation coupled with a bit of frustration equals buying new. I got brand new Ac-Delco calipers from RA and the pads & rotors came from a friend who totaled his 05 and never got the chance to use them. The rotors are Raybestos Advanced Tech, I'd recommend to anyone wanting a long-lasting rotor that'll take plenty of abuse and not warp or even really care... Pads were something-something and brand new and free.

If I did upgrade to different calipers, I'd rebuild them instead of buy new, but these are doing just fine after 4 years. If I don't upgrade, they'll last another 100k.
    Might as well go big, you're going home at the end of the day regardless.
    04 GP GT2: Slow and a dirty, dirty sloot.

Chats

Ah. I thought those were mostly dust-boots with the pressure seal beyond, on the piston. I get the w h o l e picture, lol.

Yes, I ripped mine off (assuming and hoping a new one came with the kit). It was stuck pretty good, and I'm not sure it would come off without being damaged. - I'm being detailed with the questions and experiences because I'm expecting the other side to leak soon, and I think I can fix it with an o-ring from my sink faucet assortment. If it eats away and leaks, I'll go from there. The o-rings look and feel identical. As a matter of fact, I'll drop one in fluid and see what happens. It could be a $0 fix.

Thanks for explanation - it all makes sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12