Lost a wheel stud on my L/F awhile back.
Ordered ARP wheel studs for mounting a more aggressive slick setup.
On back order for ARP wheel studs since July, I figured my transmission would explode heroically at the drag strip in the future.
With 80k miles on my stock tapshift trans' and axles, one day the transaxle sporadically started to slip it's way to a slow death instead...
The last 22k miles have been cam'd/e85, while not necessarily beating the hell out of it I say I drive more respectfully than most.
I did a filter change on the transmission at 45k, over 2 years ago. Since then all extra power has been added.
Start with the basics. I dropped the pan to change the filter, old one seemed harder to blow through. (both made in USA quality)
Same issues...slip 1st gear getting worse...sometimes completely stuck, shift into R and back into D or M and it'll slip but move.
2nd gear slips as well when opening the throttle farther and engine will free rev high quickly.
3rd & 4th gear seem to operate fine as does reverse.
This time I dropped the pan and took down the accumulator housing.
Upon inspection, channel gasket and accumulator piston seals were okay.
Shift kit bushings were mushroom'd about 2cm, but normal.
Put it back together, same issues...3rd+ gear is fine.
Car sat for a week.
My good friend calls me one day after work saying I am one lucky MF'r.
He found the only 2004+ GP in the junkyard and it is also a 2004 CompG.
With a production date of 5/03, this car had an L67. Most likely valve cover leaked oil onto the exhaust and it had a wiring harness fire that appeared to have lasted only 10 minutes or so.
Not surprising that insurance totaled the car, despite this it is definitely not it's trans to blame for it's current whereabouts.
Side cover on the transaxle was painted black, indicating it had been recently removed/rebuilt.
Dropped the cradle out of the burn victim, the torque converter was painted black too further leading me to believe it was in good condition.
The yard let the engine and transaxle go for $250, and away it went into the back of my Toyota minivan.
The next day, I pressure washed the trans at work.
It was at this point that I noticed it had a rebuild date stamped on the front case.
6/15/11, it read.
When I got home from work, guess what was in the mail?
The ARP wheel studs arrived, too late though.
So here I am currently...unfortunately driving the van to work daily and swapping the trans in my garage in my spare time.
I will be posting more pictures as I progress. I may do a write up as well...who knows?
My 1/2" drive 18v took both axle nut's off effortlessly, and they've never been removed before.
However even my air hammer cannot knock either of these axle's out of their knuckle, need better air compressor or larger hammer...
Also need to grab standard size socket/wrench for header bolts, 6mm for ign coil connector, hex allen key for the last throttlebody turndown bolt (can't fit a hex socket) and other misc. things for other bull**** from my toolbox at my other home.
I figure while I am balls deep into this, I might as well replace PS rack (R/F boot leaks grease ****), engine radiator, subframe bushings and install cradle spacers that I've had sitting around for 2+ years.
...check back tomorrow for more progress.